Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pick up truck set up.,.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:56 pm 

I’m thinking of getting a kayak for the wife so I’m going to have to transport two kayaks in the future. What I’m thinking of doing, I’ve never seen so I want y’alls feedback.

Right now I just toss my Malibu in the bed of the truck and head out. To accommodate two kayaks I’m considering getting a bed extender and two sided Swiss Cargo racks. I figure one can go in the bed extender and the other I’ll attach to a 2x2 with a 2x4 in either end for stability. It would look like an H with the Swiss Cargo rack in the middle. I have a tool box so there should be enough of the kayak hanging off the end of the bed to fit on the rack on the bed extender to secure it.

Anyway, it’s a thought for the future. Like I said, I’ve never seen anything like this so I wanna know what y’all think. Or, if someone has done it, I’d love to get some feedback and see some pics.

Thanks y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:14 am 

Go to www.castingkayaks.com and click "our fleet". There is a picture of his set up of a pick up with a tool box. He has 4kayaks in it so 2 would be no problem.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:05 am 

RetiredLife wrote:
Go to http://www.castingkayaks.com and click "our fleet". There is a picture of his set up of a pick up with a tool box. He has 4kayaks in it so 2 would be no problem.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Not really what I was thinking of. The two in the bed almost look stacked. I don’t want to do that. It’s a two and a half hour drive for me to get to the water so stacking is something I want to avoid.

This is the cradle I was thinking of using.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:52 am 

I don't see anything wrong with what you are suggesting. You should be able to clamp that to a bed extender somehow.

I made up a system using uni-strut bars and brackets and a Yakima bar and mount system for my 2015 Toyota Tacoma 4 dr. to carry the kayaks over the cab.

Basically a standard roof-top mount for the cab and a bolt-together structure for the bed. The bed structure allows me to attach a matching Yakima bar and adjust the height to the bar on the cab. They I add Yakima pads and rollers for the two kayaks. It's all buried in the garage right now or I could post a picture. I did this because I was too cheap to buy a ladder-rack type system, and I had lots of uni-strut stuff available to me at work. Using a bridge type mount as shown in the link above for the rear mount can work with the cab-mounted crossbar very well.

Also, I have carried four kayaks on this system before. Yakima makes a vertical post that you clamp on the center of the crossbar, and stand the kayaks on edge, two per side. It requires a lot of straps, a bit of patience, and some help, but it works. Then you can put two more in the bed using an extender. The problem is there is no room left for gear!

Lastly, I often carry two kayaks side-by-side on the bed extender. That is typically a Tarpon 140 and a Hobie Quest. Neither are real skinny, but they fit OK. I have to push the noses together a little but it works.

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:50 am 

Have you considered a truck rack. Then you could carry more gear in the bed. My kayaks are 34 inches wide each and I carry 2 , side by side. You don’t have to buy an expensive brand. The one below installs and comes off in about 5 minutes.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200649173

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:09 pm 

I made this setup for my Tacoma. I wanted something that would keep the yaks low on the truck for ease of loading and low wind resistance while still allowing use of the tonneau cover to keep my gear secure in the truck bed. I built some z-brackets that bolt to the inner factory cargo rails inside the bed and project up and out under the tonneau cover. I attached a 1.25" square cross-rail using Grade 8 bolts and mounted kayak wing style supports on the rail. For the back end, I modified a cargo bed extender, adding another 1.25" square cross-rail and mounted another pair of kayak wings on that. The kayak winks are expensive ($130/pair) but I found a used set on Amazon Warehouse for $60 and another used set on Ebay for $50. The kayak wings fit the bottom of my Outback very nicely and it's great to be able to transport it right side up and not have to completely unload gear from the yak before loading. I used this setup in February to transport 2 Outbacks to Key West for a trip with my brother to the Dry Tortugas. Kayaks rode nice and stable behind the cab and we were able to fill the truck bed with all of our gear and and keep everything covered, dry, and secure during the trip. When I transport only 1 kayak, I use one set of wings centered on the bars.

Attachments:
Rack 1.jpg
Rack 1.jpg [ 101.52 KiB | Viewed 423 times ]
Rack 2.jpg
Rack 2.jpg [ 116.09 KiB | Viewed 423 times ]
Rack 3.jpg
Rack 3.jpg [ 109.29 KiB | Viewed 423 times ]
Rack 4.jpg
Rack 4.jpg [ 95.54 KiB | Viewed 423 times ]
Rack 5.jpg
Rack 5.jpg [ 114.14 KiB | Viewed 423 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:18 am 

I like that one! Good work, and neatly done.

:thumbright:

-- Maurice Wiggin --

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:08 am 

Stealthyakker wrote:
I made this setup for my Tacoma. I wanted something that would keep the yaks low on the truck for ease of loading and low wind resistance while still allowing use of the tonneau cover to keep my gear secure in the truck bed. I built some z-brackets that bolt to the inner factory cargo rails inside the bed and project up and out under the tonneau cover. I attached a 1.25" square cross-rail using Grade 8 bolts and mounted kayak wing style supports on the rail. For the back end, I modified a cargo bed extender, adding another 1.25" square cross-rail and mounted another pair of kayak wings on that. The kayak winks are expensive ($130/pair) but I found a used set on Amazon Warehouse for $60 and another used set on Ebay for $50. The kayak wings fit the bottom of my Outback very nicely and it's great to be able to transport it right side up and not have to completely unload gear from the yak before loading. I used this setup in February to transport 2 Outbacks to Key West for a trip with my brother to the Dry Tortugas. Kayaks rode nice and stable behind the cab and we were able to fill the truck bed with all of our gear and and keep everything covered, dry, and secure during the trip. When I transport only 1 kayak, I use one set of wings centered on the bars.

I like that! My problem is I also have a toolbox. Right now my Malibu S12 fits just under the toolbox but it has to be in he middle because of the wheel wells. Maybe a crossbar would get them above the toolbox. How much does the cross rail sit off the bed? I think I would need at least three inches to clear the toolbox.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:25 am 

Cool setup but Im curious, how far can you legally have foreign objects outside the boundaries of the vehicle? That looks like a good 4' of kayak and support hanging out the back. Your flags you may have to move as well as they can't block your tail lights from the rear even when at a stop. If they are not clearly visible it might cause a problem with law enforcement.

Hate to see you get ticketed.

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com
| 904-256-4985 |

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:39 am 

I looked into this overhang length issue some years ago, and I couldn't find any number. Just look at logging trucks! The two things I found are 1.) you must have the red flag at the back of the load, and 2.) you are responsible for any damage done by your vehicle or load.

I carried a Tarpon 160 on a bed extender with a short bed Chevy pickup for years without any problems except finding a parking place at McDonalds. I only tried the drive-thru once, and I'm glad there wasn't a crowd around. I provided entertainment similar to what you get at a boat ramp on Memorial Day Weekend! That long kayak sweeps wiiiiide!

By the way, the flag requirement was 12" square for years but was changed to 16" a few years ago. (Or was it 18"? I can't remember but I know I got a legal one.)

-- Maurice Wiggin --