Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:38 pm 

Recently just moved up to Neptune from Jax Beach. I was curious to see if anyone does some kayak fishing a few hundred yards off the beach? Wanted to see if there's some fun fishing to be had or if sharks just make it impossible lol.

Thanks!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:50 pm 

It's been a while since I have heard anyone post anything about going beyond the breakers.

However, I saw a guy out there last week when it was super calm and lots of pogie pods out there. He said he'd been out there all morning and afternoon with zero bites.

With the fronts moving through I would not risk BTB - better off exploring the tributaries in an around the ICW

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:49 pm 

I’ve been fishing out of Ponte Vedra for a couple of weeks now. I fish mostly during the week and am super addicted to it.

The kings are thick, but I keep getting broken off. Also, jumped a trap on last week. I’d love someone to join me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:20 pm 

I went off Fernandina Beach a few days ago. Pogies are thick. Saw a few Tarpon but no hook ups.

You'll always have to work your way through quite a few sharks however. But they are always fun to catch as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:42 am 

joelwinters wrote:
I’ve been fishing out of Ponte Vedra for a couple of weeks now. I fish mostly during the week and am super addicted to it.

The kings are thick, but I keep getting broken off. Also, jumped a trap on last week. I’d love someone to join me.

Gotta use 40lb wire stinger rigs and about 3-4lbs of drag pressure. When the king hits just let it run and tire out then reel it in. We use conventional reels or big spinners with about 500 yards of 20lb mono and they will take a ton of it on that first run.

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:46 pm 

guanagator wrote:
joelwinters wrote:

Gotta use 40lb wire stinger rigs and about 3-4lbs of drag pressure. When the king hits just let it run and tire out then reel it in. We use conventional reels or big spinners with about 500 yards of 20lb mono and they will take a ton of it on that first run.

I am using wire, but it keeps breaking at the twist!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:08 am 

Get some 40lb 7 strand wire at strike zone, snell the hooks on and use a figure 8 knot for the swivel connection. If you get broken off 99% of the time it’s a big shark. Good thing about 7 strand is flexible compared to straight wire and won’t kink after every fish. We’ve caught many limits of kingfish this summer on home tied 7strand rigs with a single nose hook and 4x #4 or 2x #6 treble hook.

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:54 am 

guanagator wrote:
Get some 40lb 7 strand wire at strike zone, snell the hooks on and use a figure 8 knot for the swivel connection. If you get broken off 99% of the time it’s a big shark. Good thing about 7 strand is flexible compared to straight wire and won’t kink after every fish. We’ve caught many limits of kingfish this summer on home tied 7strand rigs with a single nose hook and 4x #4 or 2x #6 treble hook.

I think my drag was too tight. Are you fishing the beach or offshore? Trying again today at red tops.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:12 pm 

Fishing off the beach and we push out to the nearshore wrecks I’ve got a 19ft Panga. If your targeting kings you’ve gotta have the drag very light, strike I have it around 3lbs and then I’ll go up to 5lb when fighting the fish after the first couple runs. They can swim 50+mph so very easy to pull hooks. We’ve been catching some nice kings in about 35-45ft of water a mile or so off the beach. Red tops is good and so is off the north end of Atlantic beach. Also heard there’s been a couple sailfish caught within 2 miles of the beach last week in same areas.

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:53 am 

guanagator wrote:
Fishing off the beach and we push out to the nearshore wrecks I’ve got a 19ft Panga. If your targeting kings you’ve gotta have the drag very light, strike I have it around 3lbs and then I’ll go up to 5lb when fighting the fish after the first couple runs. They can swim 50+mph so very easy to pull hooks. We’ve been catching some nice kings in about 35-45ft of water a mile or so off the beach. Red tops is good and so is off the north end of Atlantic beach. Also heard there’s been a couple sailfish caught within 2 miles of the beach last week in same areas.

Yeah, my buddy caught two sails last week! The tarpon have been so thick that I haven't left the pony pods to chase the kingfish. I've hooked up to several tarpon now, but have yet to land one.