Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:52 pm 

Went out of the Oak Harbor boat ramp today with my kayak, it took about 15 minutes to get to my "spot". At 8:30 am not even the crabs were biting. BUT, then about 10:00 I caught two 23" red fish one right after the other.My friend with me caught a 22" at the same time. Two guys were kayak fishing near us but caught nothing at all. I had spoken to both of these guys on separate occasions before and they asked each time what was I using for bait. I told them fresh dead shrimp. The one guy said that he was using lures the first time we met and sure enough, he was using lures again today and caught nothing. He said on the way back to the ramp " I guess I have been schooled, from now on dead shrimp". Hope to see them again soon and maybe actually catching fish. Personally, I like to catch the fish and not just sit and cast all day.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:05 pm 

Sometimes, bait is the way to go. I just prefer lures, especially a red hitting a top water plug. I also think I’m addicted to casting. I know...weird. There are definitely days when I wish I had bait.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:01 pm 

How are the tides up there at Oak Harbor? Or what was your experience?
Specifically, at dead low, can one still launch and get out into the main channel? Or ICW?

Reason I'm asking: I have a Hobie PA-14 which really needs about 2' for everything to be copacetic with the flippers.

Having the smaller feeder creeks dry up is one thing, but waiting to get back to the launch site is a PIA I'm trying to avoid.
Especially with the wind and lightning bearing down. Been there, done that, once. :pale: :joker:

It looked as though it was a decent place though, when I scouted it, but it was high tide or semi-high.
thanks much. :salute:

PS: also:
How'd you have that shrimp rigged? Cajun thunder? Carolina? thx.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:21 am 

Hello Candl417 and Welcome to JKF!!!
I enjoyed your fishing report and good to see that Oak Harbor is producing some nice fish!!
I have fished at O/H more that 150 times and my "nickname" for many years is the "Mayor of Oak Harbor" and I have 2 baseball caps with that title above the brim!!

I have taken more than 100 people fishing there...NO CHARGE...since they bought kayaks from me at Black Creek Outfitters, and ALL OF THEM CAUGHT FISH with me!! I am "batting 1.000' up there!!

Congrats on your success up there....it is my favorite place in the JAX area to fish!!
CYA up there sometime, and we can compare Honey Holes!!
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:12 am 

TaipanDuKayak, I have the best luck with the outgoing tide about an hour before dead low tide. You can still get out to the ICW at that time. I fish the tributaries and haven't gotten out as deep as the ICW, no need to. I have my weight about 3" above my shrimp and hook the shrimp straight thru the back. Don't know if that is Carolina or Cajun though, just the way I have always rigged. By the way, everyone chuckles when they see that I use an ugly stick rod with a Zebco reel. Nothing fancy but it works for me. Caught two 25" redfish on the same setup in the same place about 2 weeks ago. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:34 pm 

Candl417:
Thanks much, appreciate the scuttlebutt on Oak Harbor's channel.
I"m going to try it for real next time.
I have a tendency to go fishing "As the spirit moves", regardless of tides, just avoiding bad weather and thunderstorms.
I figure that if it's at an extreme, just keep peddling and enjoy the sights... it'll change.
"Mud Stuck" though, to be avoided at all costs.

Interesting how you rig that.
Whatever works.

Laughed, too, at your Zebco Special.
I'm a fan of Kiddie Tackle, too.
Fish can't tell the difference.

Thanks for the dope.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:24 pm 

Hey TaipanDuKayak......An Old Question in fishing is "when do you go fishing?" and the answer is: "When You Can"......so you just learn to adapt to High and Low Tides, Weather, Weekend Warriors (powerboats and jet skis) and of course, Work Schedules!!

I am also a last of the Outgoing Tide, Low tide, and Incoming Tides fisherman....when I can arrange it and I think that is when you learn the creeks you are fishing.
Even if you have to fish the High Tides, at least you know the structure at the creek mouths....
You will do fine.....JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:51 am 

TaipanDuKayak... I brought a 2072 Alumacraft through Oak Harbor at dead low tide so kayaks will do fine. The water to the left of the boat ramp and dock is pretty shallow. I saw a couple John boats get stuck out there. Let me know when you are thinking about going out there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:44 am 

Thanks, I will.

I'm thinking my Hobies with their fins down actually draw more than some flats boats.

Lesson learned.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:09 pm 

How bad are the bugs there?

I don't mind spraying down completely, but I don't want to fet that DEET stink all over my lines and bait.

Also, how do i find a good sweet spot? I'm about to go out there this weekend for the first time.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:06 pm 

The bugs are in all the creeks depending on temperature and wind. I've had a few battles with swarms of biting gnats. Sunblock and/or bug spray keep most of them from biting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:30 am 

Hey, JohnYaks Jax,
My son and I fished Oak Harbor yesterday.
Can I "PM" you w our experience? Thx
TaipanDuKayak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:49 am 

Hey TaipanDuKayak.....was just about to crash and thought I would check on here today...

I would enjoy getting a PM from you about your experience at Oak Harbor, and a PM is a great way to share info and still keep it on the Q.T......

Will look for it soon....hope you and your son "caught 'em up".....!!!!
JYJ