Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drum City 6/6
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:19 pm 

Hey guys. Finally getting a chance to write my experience from the other day. This was my first official launch of my new yak, and being in a kayak I general so I was definitely stoked. I decided my maiden voyage would be out of little Talbot Island campgrounds launch as its pretty easy and I have some familiarity with the area. I picked up a couple dozen live shrimp from the bait shop and cast netted a handful of mud minnows. I launched at dead low tide a little after 9 am. Had fun playing in the mud puddles (not) but about an hour or so I was able to paddle without slogging thru the mush.

Started out with artificials first at the first site. Gulp, DOA, mirrolures, no luck. Put a mud minnow under a popping cork, nothing, so I keep moving along. I happen upon a school of tailing reds and of course being a total noob I spook them banging around in my yak :fart4: , fail. I continue around the bend and see a good spot to stake out by a small feeder creek. It’s now about 12 or so and I rig up a shrimp and toss it in the drink. In 5 minutes I’m hooked up with the first keeper of the day, a 17 inch black drum. A nice fat boy. I hang out at the spot for a few more minutes and between a sail cat and a stingray (I was scared to death to try to remove the hook from the yak and risk getting hit by his tail or flipping over so I cut the line as close to his mouth as I could get.) I decided to move on.

I’m now getting to more open waters and the rain has started along with the wind. I decide it wouldn’t hurt to start heading back to the launch. I happen upon a sandbar type area that I passed on originally on the way out and decided that it would be a good place to stand up, stretch out and eat lunch while it’s still visible. It’s now about 3 pm I hang out there until the sandbar is submerged and I’m drifting shrimp under the popper. Boom, fish on! Hooked into a puppy black drum about 12 inches. I repeat the process and about 20 minutes later I’ve caught and released what seems like half the school of puppy drum - 6 fish. While I’m playing with these fish I have a shrimp rigged and tossed out across the channel right in the current. And then I hear it...drag is screaming off my 2500 reel and I know immediately what it is. The targeted species...a 20 inch red! Into the cooler bag he goes and it’s time for me to go.

Definitely enjoyed my first time out and I’m ok with waking up sore arms after a good day on the water lol. A few things to note.... When I was cleaning the red he had some interesting contents in his belly. Besides my shrimp and some crabs he was eating on, he apparently swallowed a whole chartreuse gulp swimming mullet from a fisherman who had hooked up with him recently. I’ve never seen that before. Also the bite was weird today. I got absolutely no hits from fishing my artificials, that could be a result of how I was casting and retrieving them as it was a bit awkward doing it from the kayak for me. Practice makes perfect I guess? Second, I got absolutely no hits from the mud minnows. Shrimp was definitely the bait of choice today.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Drum City 6/6
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:48 pm 

Sounds like an all around successful maiden voyage with some good lessons learned. Keep at it. It gets a little easier each trip. Time on the water pays dividends down the road. Congrats on the keepers!

Post subject: Re: Drum City 6/6
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:56 pm 

Hello Knarnn and CONGRATS on your first trip in your new kayak!!
I really love fishing from the Little Talbott Island State Park campgrounds.
Hopefully you launched at their campground on the WEST side of A1A, and even more hopefully, I hope you headed SOUTH from the launch area...???
If you did, there should be VERY few times that you cannot paddle to your left/South and in a few minutes you will be in Simpson Creek, so you have lots of options from there.

CONGRATS also on your fine day of "drum catching", and your 17" black drum and 20" redfish should have made a Super Supper on the grill!!

Since you are a Noobie on kayak fishing, and GLAD to have you, I would suggest that you stay with natural bait (mud minnows and live or fresh dead shrimp).
Both are good under a float rig....about 2 feet of line under the float...and you can get some flounder by fishing the mud minnows on a 1/16 or 1/8 OZ jighead which will keep them on the bottom and that is where they live normally.

Good Luck on your future trips up there, and keep in those smaller creeks and learn them well, and you have PLENTY of time to "master" the bigger waters of Sisters, Browns, and Clapboard Creeks....Good Luck!!
JohnYaksJax