Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:03 pm 

Some catch on quick…………….

Many years ago, a fellow teacher/coach had a pet saying when referring to our Middle School students. He would often say “Some of them catch on quick, some catch on slow, and some just never catch on.”

This quote surfaced in my mind this week as Max and I tried to fish between our recent afternoon showers. I like to bait up a couple of poles on the Dachshund’s Dock for Catfish at night and to do so, Max and I periodically paddle up Crooked Creek to catch a few Bream for that purpose. Recently Max and I were up the creek and waited a bit too long before heading home. This decision resulted in our getting drenched.

So fast forward two days. We had blue skies today so around 4:00 PM we loaded up again. We decided to try a new spot so rather than go up the creek to our left we decided to go to the right and out into the lake. I had heard about a place or two on the west bank that might hold some bait size Bream, so we headed out!

It wasn’t long until we had several Bream in our bucket this size and smaller and we were pleased.

I don’t get many phone calls while fishing, but my phone rang, and I chatted with a friend for a while. While we talked the air got cool, the skies darkened, and I knew I needed to end this call and head home ASAP.

As I pulled my paddle I noticed Max’s body language. I was either paddling very fast or the wind was clearly in our face. As I pulled and pulled the quote from years go raced through my mind: “Some of them catch on quick, some catch on slow, and some just never catch on.”

Well, to make a long story short, we made it to the dock high and dry. We even made it in the house before the bottom fell out.

After the rain subsided I went back down to the dock and baited up my two poles. I’m not sure how quickly I catch on but I’m anxious to see what may be on my poles in the morning!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:27 pm 

Nice photos and nice yarn.
:thumbright: :thumbleft:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:36 pm 

TaipanDuKayak wrote:
Nice photos and nice yarn.
:thumbright: :thumbleft:

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:40 pm 

Another interesting post and story, and glad you did not encounter any lightning!! :shock:

Love that 3rd from last picture...with Max's ears flapping in the breeze....and....he is howling: "I'm the King of the World"......LOL!!!

Do you use those palm sized bream whole for bait..or....do you half them??
Take care....John