Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The River Otter
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:09 pm 

The River Otter

I have mentioned this before, but I recently purchased a small 12ft canoe off Craigslist. I didn’t particularly need it, but the size, shape and price gave me a hankering (there goes that word again) for it. Once I posted it on the GON Forum I found out that without realizing it, I had purchased an Indian River Otter Canoe. Even at first glance I knew that it was already worth the $100 I paid for it.

Now I don’t know all the parts of a boat, but I knew this Otter needed a little lovin’ before it would be sea worthy.

The transom was weak and needed repair. The bow needed to be repaired and hopefully a bow eye could be added. Finally, the slatted seats needed to be beefed up a bit. After all, you can’t put 10 pounds of sugar in a five-pound bag.

Before I even got it home I dropped by my friend Danny Blair’s house just to let him look at it and make an assessment. He suggested that I just leave it with him and he would get the stuff needed then he and I would repair it. He already knew that I have no tools or skills, so he already had a plan in mind.
He had it several days and finally we decided to get together today and “work on it.” When I arrived at the appointed time the work was 99% completed!!

He had repaired the bow and added an eye:

He had added plates and treated wood and practically rebuilt the whole transom!

Not only that, he creatively splashed some color on it to match the hatch!

While I stood their looking fairly worthless (that look comes easy for me) Danny finished up by adding the marine plywood over the original Ash slatted seats. Not only that but he even measured a bit before securing the seats!!

Now folks, I suspected this would be a pro bono case from the get go but I had no idea how much time or how much work it would take to fix it properly. All I know is that once again, I find myself blessed to be surrounded by good friends that I am so thankful for. Please don’t tell Danny but I also know that there will be some choice Catfish Fillets coming his way soon.

By the way, you may be wondering if the Ol’ Captain put the Otter in the water before making it back to the Captain’s Quarters. I thought you’d never ask……

Danny: Thank you so much. You are a Keeper!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: The River Otter
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:32 am 

Captain, with that repaired transom, now you need a trolling motor and battery for that ship for those days you don't have a "hankering" to paddle. If you were closer, I'd have a heck of a deal on one for you.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:41 pm 

keastman wrote:
Captain, with that repaired transom, now you need a trolling motor and battery for that ship for those days you don't have a "hankering" to paddle. If you were closer, I'd have a heck of a deal on one for you.

Very kind. Hopefully, there is one in the future. Stay tuned.................

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:41 pm 

Where's the sail ??? ! Pirate flag? Shark nose?!

Watch those sharp edges or we'll be seeing your blood in the gunwales !

Nice craft! Your fleet has to be complete.