Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:00 pm 

We had an interesting question come up at Dick's Sporting Goods when a gentleman asked what kind of license you need when fishing in waters where traditional salt water species and fresh water species may swim. After doing some research, I discovered it is based largely on the tackle you are using and the species you catch. So, if you are fishing with predominately salt water equipment and you happen to catch a largemouth bass, unless you have a freshwater or combination license, throw him back. If you are using a bass rig with a black worm and happen to entice a red to hit it, you better throw him back unless you have a salt water license. I would love to hear if you have personal experience with this.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:31 pm 

Hey Zipp....That is an interesting topic and one that I have not seen on here for many years!!!
The last time I read the rules, and then spoke with an FWC Marine Patrol Officer, it had nothing to do with the equipment or gear that your are using, and very little to do with the location or type of water you are fishing...F/W or S/W or Brackish, and EVERYTHING to do with what species you kept on your stringer or in your cooler!!

Here is the verbiage from the FFWCC website on "species specific" tackle of methods:
2.If you are using species specific gear, your license should be appropriate (e.g., freshwater or saltwater) to the species you are targeting, and
3.Otherwise you need an appropriate type license to keep your catch and must immediately release any species for which you are not licensed
(very vague info if you ask me....LOL!!)

I fish saltwater about 99% of the time here in Florida, altho my trips to GA, then TN, and GA again, and now NC to see my daughter and her family, I fish 90% of the time in Freshwater...lakes, rivers and streams, so I buy an Annual Non-resident F/W license now for NC. Different states have different rules and some of them are smart and some are stupid!!
EXP. 1....just west of Charlotte, NC is Lake Norman and the opposite shoreline of the lake is actually South Carolina and there is "mostly" an imaginary line down the middle of the lake so you can tell what state you are in. The buoys they put in some places do not last long since boats run over them and people steal them for private markers or crab traps!!
EXP. 2....Up in my home state of West Virginia, the boundary between WV and Ohio is the Ohio River....which is "owned and managed" by WV, and the boundary used to extend up into rivers and creeks in Ohio...used to be 100 yards, but dunno it now!! :scratch:
If you touched land on the Ohio side, you broke the law....
EXP.3.....Since the St. Johns River is both fresh and saltwater, they USED to use a boundary like the Buckman Bridge to determine if you were in FW or SW...even tho the SJR is tidal all the way to Palatka. Finally, they went to the "what species are you catching and keeping" rules which are much easier to remember....dunno what it is today tho??
(I just called both the State and NE Region offices of the FFWCC and both only answer their office phones M-F from 8 AM to 5 PM.....)
Anyway, this is as much as I know about it at this time.... :salute:
JohnYaksJax

PS: I have reached the Golden Age where fishing licenses are not needed and you can either carry your driver's license or go to the Tax Collector's office and get the "senior citizen" card..mine is in the chest pocket of my PFD aka life jacket..