Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skunked in Clapboard
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:22 pm 

Went into Clapboard this morning for my first time, and I was skunked. Fished the low tide/incoming tide and saw lots of bait and splashes but not a single bite on muds or Gulp. Wind made it hard to stay in one place.

I wanna try and fish it again. Anyone have any tips or pointers? Feel free to dro me a Pm.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Skunked in Clapboard
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:36 pm 

Hmmm that's usually the best time to hit up Clapboard. I've never had any issues finding fish there. I hit up all the usual exposed oyster bars, bends, and points. I try not to spend too much time in the same spot and I keep moving until I get on the fish. When I find a nice spot I post up down current of the spot and work my mud minnow jighead combo with the current. Sometimes I will leave one rod out with a mud minnow on it and work an artificial on all the other points and oyster bars.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:25 pm 

I just went there 5/2 and did pretty good. What I noticed was that on the low tide the reds were super keyed in on hatchling croakers and were impossible to get a bite from. I got all of my bites once the tide came up and they started focusing on mullet then. I ended the day with 3 reds 15 trout and 1 jack. I was using slayer paddle tails.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:13 pm 

It's a great place to fish...sometimes you just get skunked. JMan summed it up pretty well. Give it another shot.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:23 pm 

Don't feel badly about getting skunked up at Clapboard....it is a HUGE body of water and it is fished heavily by the power boaters that frequent that area.
My first thought would be to pick a smaller and less crowded place to learn and you should do fine....and jman82 summed that up pretty well....

My favorite tides and times are the last couple of hours of the outgoing tide, low, and then fish the incoming....and Troutsniffter covered that well also....

Low tide fishing should not be too much of a problem on a windy day....just hunker down next to the spartina grass, or back into a small and almost dry creekmouth and ambush the fish as they swim past you.....they want to go into those small creeks as the tide comes in, and you are the Gatekeeper!! You should be able to cast left and right nearly 180* and cover LOTS of water!!

The tip about soaking a mudminnow or even putting one of a float rig is a good one, and you can then work on your casting and fishing lures.....
Good Luck!!
JohnYaksJax