Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mary was right!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:48 pm 

When I write I occasionally incorporate song lyrics and/or quotes from movies that have impacted my life. In the movie Mary Poppins, Mary tells Jane and Michael that “Enough is as good as a feast.” That statement in many ways describes this tale as well as the personal philosophy of the Ol’ Captain.

I was reminded of this quote as Max and I began our journey earlier this morning. When we go out in the canoe for Cats, five hours is long enough. It takes us about and hour to paddle to the bridge, anchor, and get set up.

We fish about three hours and then return home to the Dachshund’s Dock. Now that I am 65 years old and Max being no spring chicken, this round trip is plenty for us. Oft times, it is more than enough.

Max and I don’t require much, and we like to keep things simple. I’ve had some shrimp “curing” for some time now in the dock refrigerator and with the fresh cup of Nighcrawlers that I recently purchased, I hoped that we would be able to catch a fish or two. Little did I know how deadly the Shrimp/Crawler Combo would be today.

I didn’t have tricks today or anything else up my sleeve other than my shoes. Since I can just ease down to the dock and step into my boat I decided to leave on my newly acquired Camo house shoes that I found on the clearance rack at Walmart. They are comfortable, and they were $7 for the pair, and I thought they might give us an edge once we anchored at the bridge.

We were set up by 10:00AM and fished our first spot for about forty-five minutes. We then moved closer to the bridge. I had brought some hardware to throw toward the rocks to entertain myself, so we anchored within range.

No sooner did I get my three poles out when the trusty ol’ Penn took a bow!! I knew when I laid the fish across my lap that today was already time well spent!

I chunked the worm/shrimp combo back in the same spot and almost immediately, the rod went down again! Two on the stringer and maybe an hour left to fish.

We ate our lunch (I always share with Max) and then tried our third spot until 1:00 PM. But I already knew that these two fish were more than enough for our purposes. We packed up at 1:00, paddled back home, made coffee and cleaned the fish. Max and I don’t require much, and we like to keep things simple. It may be too slow for some of you but for me and Ol’ Max, enough is as good as a feast.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Mary was right!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 pm 

Ol' Captain.....Thanks for sharing your trip stories and pix with us today, and good to see you out there catching some supper!!

Think that I counted FOUR rod/reel combos in your pix and hoped that was enuff to keep you busy...LOL!!! Did you ever use the two lures you pictured....and dunno if striped bass and maybe walleyes hang out in your area, but those lures are good for both....

Guess those are blue catfish since they do not have the spots like a channel catfish would have...both of them are VERY nice specimens, and will look good swimming in Lake Crisco tonite or soon!!!
Thx for sharing....JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:37 am 

Perfect eating size cats!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:32 am 

JohnYaksJax wrote:
Ol' Captain.....Thanks for sharing your trip stories and pix with us today, and good to see you out there catching some supper!!

Think that I counted FOUR rod/reel combos in your pix and hoped that was enuff to keep you busy...LOL!!! Did you ever use the two lures you pictured....and dunno if striped bass and maybe walleyes hang out in your area, but those lures are good for both....

Guess those are blue catfish since they do not have the spots like a channel catfish would have...both of them are VERY nice specimens, and will look good swimming in Lake Crisco tonite or soon!!!
Thx for sharing....JohnYaksJax

I chunked both lures quite a few times with no hits. The waether is finally breaking so I look for everything to improve!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:46 pm 

Recently I found an article about Best Bass Lures 2018. In my opinion, a very good review. I want to order a Box Set. Yes, and it was advertised as a good set. Do you use this one? Thanks in advance!