Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snowy Trout
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:45 am 

This is the last part of my fishing adventures during my recent trip to Australia and New Zealand. This time it was a 3 day session in the Snowy-Monaro region of Australia with my friends Peter and Brenda Batho, staying at Bidgee Lodge, a cabin owned by the Cooma Acclimatization Society. The lodge was built as a fishing cottage in 1949-50 by the Kirkpatrick and Gibson families and located near the Thredbo River. The cottage was purchased by the society in 1966 as it was going to be disappearing under the waters of the newly created Lake Jindabyne and was available on favorable terms. But, of course, it had to be moved! The society had a suitable site on the banks of the Murrumbidgee River so now it was a case of how to move it. The answer was to cut it in two and transport it using trucks and trailers! And so it came to be where it is today, comfortable, rustic accommodation in an idyllic setting. To the fishing! It wasn't going to be easy as the rivers and creeks were reported to be low and clear but we intended to give it our best shot...

Day 1 - Thredbo River. The Thredbo has a good reputation and can produce some big fish. Mostly these are caught when fish are migrating out of Lake Jindabyne prior to spawning. We travelled upstream into Kosciuszko National Park to Ngarigo campground. The river looked beautiful, classic pocket water with some longer pools, very fishy! And so it proved, with a few steady risers to encourage us. I caught 3 rainbows, all about 11 inches, all on nymphs, plus a small brownie (my first in Oz!) on an Elk Hair Caddis. Peter had a few fish on nymphs and Brenda caught a half dozen or so, mostly on a Para Adams. Later we moved to another location further downstream, to the Diggings campground. Different water here, less rocky with larger pools and generally slower. Peter and I didn't get anything here but Brenda proved the star with a lovely brownie in the 1.5-2lb range.

Day 2 - Perisher Creek. I had been warned this would be different and it certainly was! Imagine a piece of water often half the width of beat 22 at Durnford. Also, a water that is buried under snow in the depths of winter. Yet wild brownies live here, mainly small and all perfectly formed. Tough, tantalising but fascinating fishing. Throw in a blustery breeze that couldn't decide which direction it wanted to come from and it seemed almost impossible. But sometimes it went right and the fly landed on the water. The occasional rise betrayed the presence of the fish, catching them was another matter. I was lucky to get two, on an Elk Hair Caddis, and was the only one to catch, not for want of trying by Peter and Brenda. Around lunchtime we did a little sightseeing and I got to see Australia's highest peak, Mount Kosciuszko. Later we visited the Gaden Trout Hatchery and also had an abortive session back on the Thredbo at a place called Paddy's Corner.

Day 3 - Lake Williams. This is a lake in the small town of Nimmitabel. It was a strange feeling, almost like fishing in the town pond. Peter said we must have similar looking lakes in the UK. I said we did but the difference was we didn't have cockatoos and galahs flying overhead and screeching all the time, and we didn't see signs warning to beware of snakes! But the lake holds big fish, they just didn't want to play on the day. No takes for any of us - I saw one fish which was sitting on the bottom about three feet from the bank. One look at my fly and it headed off to the security of deeper water. Not the best of endings but a fun few days in great company.

Attachments:
File comment: With the Bathos at Bidgee Lodge
D75_5085-01.jpeg
D75_5085-01.jpeg [ 154.16 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]
File comment: The beautiful Thredbo River
IMG_20180309_33355.jpg
IMG_20180309_33355.jpg [ 119.34 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]
File comment: A Thredbo River rainbow
IMG_20180309_21412.jpg
IMG_20180309_21412.jpg [ 94.2 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]
File comment: Perisher Creek - a challenging spot!
IMG_20180309_7540.jpg
IMG_20180309_7540.jpg [ 115.68 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]
File comment: A Perisher Creek brown, small but perfectly formed
IMG_20180309_12952.jpg
IMG_20180309_12952.jpg [ 90.75 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]

Post subject: Re: Snowy Trout
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:14 pm 

Sweet thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In case you haven’t noticed, there really are some enormous and enormously fragile egos in fishing. I can tell you that having a big ego is like owning one of those huge dogs that crap on the floor and eat the couch if they don’t get constant attention.

Post subject: Re: Snowy Trout
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:19 pm 

Andy, you are looking good Old Chap. Sounds like a nice adventure. Great to hear from you.