Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:37 am 

Following on from my first fishing session during my recent vacation, in Australia, it was now time for New Zealand, and to catch an NZ trout. I just used my 6wt rod as the fish there are mainly of a good size and the rivers can be big and strong.

I had my eye on a few locations before I arrived. Sadly some of them proved no-go areas due to the aftermath of Cyclone Gita. Wind, rain, not very nice and enough of an effort getting from place to place, never mind fishing in it. So by our 3rd night we were in Lake Hawea. I took a walk in the rain and saw a couple of trout cruising in a bay off the main lake. I also saw a fishing guide arrive on the Hawea River with a couple of American clients. A couple of minutes watching them convinced me I wasn't going to see anything interesting. I returned to our accommodation, totally soaked.

Next morning I walked down with my gear. No fish visible in the lake. I tried a few casts in the river but nothing doing, all I caught were rocks (there were plenty!). The Hawea is quite a fast flowing water so no chance of sight fishing. I also tried a known spot in the lake the same evening, again no luck and no fish seen. On our final morning there I tried again. Nothing in the river but I did spot one fish in the bay. I tried for it but nothing doing.

Next spot was Te Anau. I had high hopes for the fishing there, particularly a river called the Upukerora, just outside town. I also considered the Waiau which was actually nearer our accommodation. On looking at the Waiau I decided probably not to fish it - it's a really big river and access wasn't easy. So the Upukerora it was. The first evening my son agreed to do his own thing so I ended up with about an hour and a quarter to fish. I started just above where the river enters Lake Te Anau. It's a very fast river but mainly fairly shallow and not too wide, maybe 35 feet at most. I tried a few runs, focusing on the fast water. I was fishing a duo of Hare and Copper nymph below an Elk Hair Caddis, with an indicator. Finally I hooked up! I played the fish, which seemed to be a rainbow of a couple of pounds or so, for a few minutes then it came adrift. On checking the hook it had started to straighten. A victim of the Hawea River rocks I think. On with a new nymph, a different run - fish on! It jumped immediately and I could see it was a 4-5lb rainbow. I played the fish for 6 or 7 minutes and felt I had it beaten - and the hook came out! :evil: No more in that run, on to another. Fish on! And, finally, I had my New Zealand trout (see pic #1), a chunky rainbow of about 3lbs. I had one more brief hookup then it was time to collect my son. Pic #2 shows the run where I caught the fish.

Following my success I negotiated my freedom for about 2 1/2 hours the following evening. My son dropped me off and disappeared with the car with instructions to return at an agreed time with pizza! I used the same techniques and flies as the previous evening but with much greater confidence as I felt I knew how to fish the river. The result? Five more feisty rainbows, from about 1.5lbs to the biggest again of about 3lbs (see pic #3). I lost a couple (one broke me!) and missed a few other takes but, overall, had a great time, and pizza arrived as ordered.

Attachments:
File comment: My first NZ trout!
IMG_20180226_11475.jpg
IMG_20180226_11475.jpg [ 86.46 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]
File comment: The run on the Upukerora where I caught my first NZ trout
IMG_20180226_1672.jpg
IMG_20180226_1672.jpg [ 102.66 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]
File comment: The best fish on my 2nd night on the Upukerora
IMG_20180226_50727.jpg
IMG_20180226_50727.jpg [ 129.29 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]

Post subject: Re: DIY New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:47 am 

I guess you didn’t hear about twizel canal ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In case you haven’t noticed, there really are some enormous and enormously fragile egos in fishing. I can tell you that having a big ego is like owning one of those huge dogs that crap on the floor and eat the couch if they don’t get constant attention.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:25 pm 

shallowrunner123 wrote:
I guess you didn’t hear about twizel canal ?

Yes, and we even stayed a night in Twizel, but the weather was pretty awful at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:40 pm 

Trout in Twizel are crazy big. I’m going in May if you have any pointers please share. Thinking queens town, wanaka, Fox glazier,mt cool and twizel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In case you haven’t noticed, there really are some enormous and enormously fragile egos in fishing. I can tell you that having a big ego is like owning one of those huge dogs that crap on the floor and eat the couch if they don’t get constant attention.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:47 am 

shallowrunner123 wrote:
I’m going in May if you have any pointers please share.

Well, the Twizel canal trout are certainly big but I think it is heavily fished. If you're going in May be aware that not all waters will be open! I think the canals are OK but plenty of rivers are closed. I'd have recommended the Ahuriri south of Twizel but that will be closed. I think most rivers down around Te Anau would be good and I'd recommend that as a location. Apart from the Upukerora, there is the Eglinton, which can be superb, and other lesser known waters. Also the Waiau. For "winter" fisheries you can look here: http://www.nzfishing.com/AboutFishingInNZ/WinterFishing.htm. You might have to dig deeper for some waters! Just south of Twizel is a small lake called Kelland Pond which comes recommended. The weather stopped me fishing it. Just west of Queenstown, off the road to Moke Lake, is another small lake called Lake Kirkpatrick. Again, worth a look, if it is open. I have to say you're not going at the best time of the year! Around Wanaka, there is always the Clutha, but it's a big river. If you have a more definite itinerary, my Aussie friend Peter Batho could suggest more waters to fish and I can put you in touch with him if necessary. Hope that helps.