Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Goodradigbee Revisited
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:32 am 

Those who follow me on Facebook will know I have just returned from a 6 week vacation in Australia and New Zealand, spending the time with my son who lives in Australia. Fishing trip? No, sightseeing but I *did* have some fishing gear with me. The plan was to snatch opportunities to fish as and when I could. Realistically my ambitions were to do some fishing with some special friends in Australia, and to catch a New Zealand trout. No guides were employed, other than getting advice from my friends in Australia. I travelled light, 2 rods (3 wt and 6 wt, both 9ft 6in), reel with 2 spools and appropriate lines, 1 fly box and all the bits and pieces I might need in my Snowbee sling pack. And, no waders! Not enough room in my baggage for them.

I first fished the Goodradigbee River, in NSW Australia, in February 2012. My host and guide was Peter Batho, then president of ACT Fly Fishers in Canberra. We caught feisty almost-wild rainbows on a mix of nymphs and dries. I say "almost-wild" because the trout are stocked as fry and grow on in the river.

The river is located in the beautiful Brindabella Valley, west of Canberra. This time Peter and I were joined by his wife Brenda, an excellent fly fisher. We set off, traveling through forests along gradually worsening roads, kamikaze kangaroos and wallabies doing their best to become roadkill - thankfully none did. Brightly coloured parrots flew across in front of us and the sun was shining. The downside? Peter had told me the river had suffered badly the previous 2 years due to drought and a lot of fish had been lost. Fishing was now a pale shadow of its former self. But it felt right to be going there.

We arrived and the river looked as beautiful as ever, albeit very low and clear. We set up, Brenda elected to venture upstream, Peter and I headed down. As we walked a big flock of cockatoos were feeding on the opposite bank and, in a dead tree, four kookaburras were laughing maniacally... At us? Maybe!

We started to fish, Peter with a couple of nymphs, me with a small PTN under a klink. No takes for me but Peter shouted, then cursed as an early release happened. I changed the klink for an elk hair caddis as I was fishing fairly fast water and needed something more buoyant. Second cast a fish came out of the water, taking the dry. And that was it! Peter dropped one more but Brenda had nothing. We searched and searched, fishing some beautiful looking water but to no avail. Seemed like the number of fish remaining in the river is really low, which is a shame. Hopefully it will recover over the next few years. But it was an enjoyable day in great company and I had more fishing with the Bathos on the agenda plus a visit to the Land of the Long White Cloud - New Zealand beckoned! :D

Attachments:
File comment: Searching the Goodradigbee
IMG_20180217_4851.jpg
IMG_20180217_4851.jpg [ 90.1 KiB | Viewed 199 times ]
File comment: Success! My Goodradigbee rainbow
IMG_20180217_37713.jpg
IMG_20180217_37713.jpg [ 66.25 KiB | Viewed 199 times ]
File comment: The Goodradigbee by our lunch spot
IMG_20180217_39341.jpg
IMG_20180217_39341.jpg [ 94.76 KiB | Viewed 199 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:38 pm 

Hello there Andy...good old G4VPM....and thanks for sharing that neat story and those pix with us!!
Most of the newbies in here will not know you, and I hate to tarnish your post by saying that we fished together pretty often, and I even bought my first flyrod & reel from you, and you took me behind the building where you worked, and somehow I caught my first ever flyrod fish....and that HOOKED me!!!

Glad you got in some fishing over there and you got to spend LOTS of time with your son.
Take care....and I will never forget your famous quote...."Fish the channel, dummy"...LOL!!
John