Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:38 pm 

I'm thinking about purchasing a new reel for saltwater use. I basically fish inshore for Redfish, Speckled Trout & Stripers. I am presently using Shimano Calcutta 100 reel.I have read a lot about the Abu Garcia Revo and some others. Would like to get some opinions on how these reels hold up in saltwater as well as their appearance.
I searched many websites and here is some good review of Fishing reel https://fisherreel.com/ . Any recommendation will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:38 am 

And what is your choice for a new one?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:05 pm 

Every Penn that I have had in the past has had no trouble with salt water, even with my lack of care of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:01 pm 

Here's my $.025 worth.

All previous suggestions quite valid.
I've switched long ago, from Penn's to Shimano's, also from bait casting to spinning, for many reasons (bird's nest soup; leverage, etc), but in sum:

Penn's are typically sturdy, yes, but always heavy & kind of clunky. I bought a new pair (3000's) after many many years, a price purchase, but they still had the same exact feel as an old one. I was neither amused, nor impressed, as by now I could see & feel the difference.

Shimano's or Daiwa's are typically lighter, smoother, faster, probably due 2x the ball bearings of Penn.
I have 4 Shimano Syncopate 2500's, with extra spools for quick changes. Also for the occasional fresh water. All on decent poles, per se.

Recently I went to Amazon specifically to upgrade my: "salt-water, inshore tackle" for reds and the like, w a little more muscle to pull reds & co. off the oyster beds; as a gift, actually. I wanted something "special", a lifetime gift.

I received a recommendation for: KastKing rods & reels, specifically their 4000 spinner and 7'0" Tournament Rod -- especially & specifically geared towards "this type of work".

Jury's still out, but here's 1st impressions after 4-5 uses:
- KastKing rod was equivalent to St Croix's (at a fraction of cost), & specifically designed for this function. Light ? Holy cow. Featherweight. Feature rich? You bet. Strong, yet sensitive? Ohhh, yeah.
If you don't know "St Croix" (I didn't either, until), look them up. "Serious stuff".

- KastKing 4000 Reel? Oh, lordie. Smooth as silk, keeps rotating "Like the Energizer bunny - possessed".
"Touch test":
you spin a Penn, and you get about 2 crank rotations. It wants to jump out of your hand.
You spin a Shimano (& probably a Daiwa), about 6. They stay put. Feel "smoother".
You spin a Kast King ... 10 spins of the crank? Your eyes get kind of big.

I'm told that their bait casters leave much the same impression.

- first impression of Kast King rod upon opening the shipping tube: "Oh- my - gosh".
- first impression of 4000 reel after opening box: "Ditto".

You read the reviews on Amazon, and after winnowing out a certain percentage, my impression was that, in short,
"Their eyes got kind of large, too, & maybe their jaws sagged a little as well". Mine did.

Great customer service.
Even a "Technical Adviser" (am not kidding).
Like St Croix, multiple types of rods specifically geared towards different types of fishing.
(I was like, "You gotta be kidding me, right?" - No.)

Kudos to all local vendors, shops, etc., but I went this route as I'm a tight budget but willing to gamble
on "High Quality, High Value" products. Am Sold on these guys thus far.

Bottom line:
"Fish cain't tell the difference, but good equipment is sure nice to hold!"
It does get one a little more frustrated, though, when the bite isn't on -- that's the down side! lol.
You might have a tendency to beat yourself up. ha.

Oh yeah... "holding up".
Well, if you don't rinse anything off after salt H2O, you're kind of "asking for it", Penn or anything.
Also with any manufacturer nowadays, certain price points MUST be hit or you're just not buying Lifetime or at least, long-term equipment. I learned that the hard way, too.

Hope that's helpful. Feel free to follow-up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:04 am 

I've got Shimano that works excellent for both freshwater and saltwater fishing. I am not a pro, though. Just sharing my experience...