Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:45 pm 

Went Sunday 3/11/18 and it was drained again. Good ole spring drawdown, just thought I'd share for any folks interested.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:52 pm 

TexasDave wrote:
Went Sunday 3/11/18 and it was drained again. Good ole spring drawdown, just thought I'd share for any folks interested.

seems they are starting alittle early this year

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:11 am 

Yep, I was there Sunday as well, water at least 18-24 inches lower than usual. A LOT of kayaks on the water - the Heroes on the Water group had a mass outing - perhaps 25 kayaks or more. They do great work, but it was crowded - and shallow.

"I fear that when I am gone, my wife will sell my kayak fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it..."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:01 am 

Was told they are working on the dam repairing hurricane damage hence the earlier and lower than usual drawdown. It’s about a foot lower than it was this time last year.

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:38 am 

I'm new to fishing Guana as I just started fishing there this past fall. I have had some really good days out there. I knew they did a spring draw down. However,I was out there 2 weeks ago and the water level was significantly lower than last month. Can someone fill me in on spring fishing there? Will there be any issues with using my mirage drive? What effects does the lower level have on the fish during the spring ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:56 pm 

I tried to contact the folks responsible to get some information on the drawdown plan. First I contacted the GTR staff - they referred me to the FWC. I was told the FWC manages the water level in the Guana River Wildlife Management Area. I sent the FWC an email request, got a "we will contact you shortly" message. That was a week ago. Perhaps if more people asked, we could get an idea of what the plan is for Guana Lake and the time schedule. I am OK with their management plan (I think), but the lack of info to the public is not ideal. If you are interested, here is the contact info:

Guana River Wildlife Management Area
Fish & Wildlife Commission
440 Guana River Road
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082-6526
(904) 825-6877
fwc@mycusthelp.net

"I fear that when I am gone, my wife will sell my kayak fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it..."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:02 pm 

Frank - i have fished there twice this year since the drawdown. I have a Hobie as well. The eastern part of the lake is too shallow for the drive unless you are OK with paddling or wading occasionally. The western section is 18" to 30" of water. Fishable, but you need to be careful. The fish were biting, that was not an issue. If anything, the trout are more concentrated. 6 Mile is high and dry...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:10 am 

I appreciate the info. The last time I was out there it had already gotten so low that the eastern side was too shallow. I'm considering hitting guana this weekend but I'm not sure I want to deal with potentially getting stuck or having to wade considering the size of some of the gators I've seen :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:50 am 

Response from the FWC, received this morning:

From Cheryl Pinkerton, FWC NE Region, Wildlife and Habitat Management
Lake Ponte Vedra is currently being drawn down in preparation for repairs to the Guana Dam structure on the south end of the Lake. This year’s draw down started earlier and will result in lower lake levels than in years past due to the timing and water level needed for construction. During a normal spring draw down, we begin discharging water in late February and continue thru May at a rate of roughly 1 inch a week. In July/August the water levels will begin to rise due to increased afternoon rain events and the recharge of saltwater through the Dam. The Lake will not be at ‘full’ levels until September or October.

Currently, we do not post water level information on a public site. I will look into the possibility of posting water levels in the future so we can better fulfill our user’s needs.

FWC Northeast Region
Shannon Wright, Regional Director
http://myfwc.com/about/inside-fwc/ne
1239 SW 10th Street, Ocala, FL 34471
352-732-1225

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:37 pm 

So, basically people who fish Guana Lake have a whopping two months (maybe October and part of November) of the lake being full before it's closed down for duck season until February, only to start immediately drawing it down again?

Is it just me or does anyone else wonder if they actually really want us to fish there at all? :scratch: :roll:

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5
Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:02 pm 

The dam is blocked off already and they are working on the repairs. Lot of yaks fishing both sides of the damn today. I was just there to walk the dog and avoid snakes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:36 pm 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Native Slayer Propel 13 (Copperhead)
Native Slayer 12 (Hidden Oak)