Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:45 am 

Or is it my imagination? Back in the day there used to be new topics daily, happy hours, tournaments . Where is everyone? Is there a new forum somewhere. I was a member years ago and moved out of Jax: just trying to find an active kayak forum.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:02 am 

Yes, not what it use to be. Our society has changed from a group support to a "Me" society. All the participation in the various group activites has wanned except for a handful of the old timers. Plus, add social media and here we are today...........

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:56 am 

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Yes, not what it use to be. Our society has changed from a group support to a "Me" society. All the participation in the various group activites has wanned except for a handful of the old timers. Plus, add social media and here we are today...........

Agree 100% with what Jerry said. Seems like more activity now is on social media (i.e. Facebook), but even that medium is slow depending on whether the Facebook page is public or closed. I log into this forum several times a day almost everyday. Nowhere near what it used to be. :cry:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 am 

Still here :bounce: . Looking to getting some kayak fishing in this summer. I'll post some pictures when I have something to report. I went out in the boat at low tide last Sunday morning to find some new fishing ground. I'm new to the Jacksonville area so I have a lot of research to do. I didn't catch anything but I saw a sting ray, manatee, and a few dolphins. I went around the big island off Reddie point and checked out the channel in Mill Cove near Beacon Hills and Harbour. The day ended up being pretty good except almost getting taken out by a huge tug boat wake by Blount Island. :eek:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:06 pm 

no social media problem here, just too much do do going on in life right now, I don't have much to post about. I thought is would get easier as I got older, my water toys are lonely, I keep thinking "some day I'll use them " I see calmer weather on the horizon though but it's about a year off. But yes everyone has so many outlets now. Wonder if forums will go the way of books. I like them for the ability to reference and research.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:32 pm 

There's some reports posted on Florida Sportsman, but those seem to have dropped in frequency as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:43 pm 

It's the increase pages on Facebook and instant communication via the social media options. Heck with some of the Facebook sites and new tech you can stream live while you fish or want instant feedback. I've also noticed as we have aged use of motors has increased. It started with peddle power then went to motors as folks aged. All just part of progress and change. Funny thing is for me anyway that old 13 foot Grumman I have is looking more attractive all the time. Super durable and tough as it gets. I still have all the rigging and it's all in great shape. Of course like always running our own buisness gets in the way of that. Keep telling myself I'll get around to it. Hmmm that commentary has also been used on a few other sproting items aroind my place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:45 pm 

I’ve seen the same thing happen on a few of my favorite forums, they all left for Facebook. I know looking at pics of rigged kayaks and having discussions about it here used to be one of my favorite things. This was before YouTube which has attracted people for obvious in depth reviews, tips and tricks. Bummer to see it fizzle out here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:07 pm 

Well, if Facebook is the alternative, I'll be sticking around here for a while..... And as for that instant feedback - it's one of the things I avoid by going fishing. I haven't had much to post about lately and keep telling myself that will change soon.

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:42 am 

Long time lurker here. I think a big reason the board is slow is no new users. When a new person goes to jaxkayakfishing.com and see 2012 fishing results, they thing the page is not maintained anymore and move along.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:43 pm 

Is there even a JaxKayak Tourney anymore or what? Hard to get too excited and keep coming back, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:43 pm 

TexasDave wrote:
Is there even a JaxKayak Tourney anymore or what? Hard to get too excited and keep coming back, IMO.

The Jax Classic is no more. There is an Inshore Xtreme Challange Kayak Charity tournament on the 24th. http://www.inshorextremechallenge.com It's for a great cause. 90 people entered so far. Online entries are closed, but you can register at the Captain's meeting on the 23rd.

There's the Netti Kayak Challenge in October. Great charity tournament to support a local individual each year fighting cancer. I always enter that one as well. Those are the tournaments that get me to Jax as I fish primarily in the Gulf every weekend. ;)

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:42 am 

Certainly not many new guys. But its winter and windy! Got blown around yesterday and no one wants to see pictures of dink trout!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:44 am 

I’m still around as well I just didn’t get to fish at all last year as life decided it was priority over wetting a line. As for Facebook.....Never touch the stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:04 pm 

I have seen this thread for awhile now and finally decided to reply....and first of all, I basically agree with IS2001/Jerry, Steve, and Keastman about social media like Face Book and YouTube taking the place of forums like this one. Actually, there are now 3-4 divisions of the "old JKF" website that exist elsewhere...and several have tournaments.

I do not frequent them, but I do pop in them once in awhile....and several original members from here have formed Face Book hosted forums and even have tournaments...which are pretty small by old JKF standards....like Steve said above, the tourney last weekend closed the registration and getting a captain's bag at 75 people, and finally had 90 sign up.
By comparison, the first two JKF Classics were in the same year!!! They were on April 15 & 16, 2005 and October 14 & 15, 2005. They had 90 +/- and 150 people pay and fish..and they grew from there!! The last ones drew 425 and 450 paid people, and finally the last one on May 13 & 14, 2016 had 339 people registered. What a run!!
No wonder that "Kayak Mike" who was the founder and owner of JKF was so stressed out at the beginning of every year!!

I also wanted to see how many new members we have had join JKF recently, and here are the numbers:
JAN 2018 - 19 newbies
FEB 2018 - 13 "
MAR 2018 - 14 " as of today.....really not bad growth for this time of year I would think?

Altho there are newbies joining every month, they are mostly joining and not posting fishing trip reports or even asking question....but at least they join and are members.
JAN 2018 showed only 5 posts by newbies!!
FEB 2018 had 44 posts by newbies and THANKS to TaipanDuKayak and iLL for their 23 and 9 posts respectively....Nice to see you two joining in and adding your questions and opinions!!
MAR 2018 has shown 13 posts by newbies as of today.

If you ever want to see how many people are signed in while you are in here, you can click on the FORUMS link at the top of the page. Then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Who is online". When I started this reply, there were 4 registered users and 35 lurkers (members who are not signed on) and 4 BOTS....robots that gather info for sponsors and bring in revenue to the site.
Of course, if members are watching this website while at work, they will not be actively online...they will be lurking so their bosses and their IT Dept. do not catch them!! :shock:

Hope you all enjoy this "research" that I did, and keep posting and recruiting new members....Thanks!!
JohnYaksJax