Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First day shakedown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:57 pm 

Wow, what a day. I knew driving across the A1A/200 bridge into Fernandina the tide was abnormally high. I get the Leaders and Sinkers off 14th to get some mud minnows and try out the new PA14 at Egans Creek.

First thing that went wrong was my new Hobie Livewell XL was leaking with the drain plugged and pump plugged. Hurried to get in the water so I can run some water for the minnows. Dropped in using my BooneDox and it was pretty easy. What I forgot to do was lift them back in the boat. (This is self correcting).

Tide was high and going out, fast...really fast! With that tide ripping out PA was handling weird (due to my BooneDox in the water). Didn't help the wind was howling and moving with the tide so had a hard time getting the BooneDox in the boat while trying to stop from blowing into the bridge or the docks. Finally did it and starting moving to get my Hobie livewell going....start.....nothing. Double and triple checked everything, nothing. I had water in it and was moving, so not sure what happened there.

Whatever, time to go...I want to fish. I took off and it was impossible to find a spot to stay with the wind and current. Found a few spots with my stakeout, but nothing was biting.

I finally just decided to go on a little stroll and figure out the boat some. I had a minnow behind me and finally got a hit. Missed him but decided to settle there. Cast the same spot and got a 17" trout...so at least I didn't get skunked. I have a lot to work on with my kayaking skills. I did it so long ago I feel I forgot how to do everything. Hopefully I can get this livewell thing fixed.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: First day shakedown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:52 pm 

Well, you went out today, so "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din". :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
I chickened out straightaway, due the temp and the wind.

Look at bright side: you didn't float out to sea & "Make the papers" ; you didn't lose the wheels. Therefore, it was "A good day".
There is something to be said about these "Lead Sleds": you have more of a fighting chance against wind & currents.

I once left a minnow trap overboard and wondered why I was pedaling furiously, but still going nowhere.
Finally figured out: That, combined w my Live Bait bucket ...

Double Duhhh, twin sea anchors. :oops: :oops:
And that's why we have shakedowns !!! lol

I'm ready to Sharpie in a Captain's Checklist next to the ruler:
- poles secured? - check
- anchor up? check
- bait bucket in? check.
- brain? lost overboard.

Your Stakeout didn't hold?
I've never used one, but do have mushroom anchors, which seem to grab in most anything, if that parachute cord tension is any indication.
Only thing I'd suggest if you ever go w this option: include a small bucket to hold the anchor in, as the mud, aka sugar-sand, goes everywhere and is a PIA to get out.

But Congrats, you christened her! :smoke: :thumbleft:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:02 pm 

The wind was ok, but the tide really threw me off. I didn't plan that one well..

Yea, the wheels down really threw me off...trying to put them up with the current and wind, ugh. Learned a lot today though so good to go. She handles well and even against all of them I got where I wanted to be...The stakeout did hold, it was just hard to find a spot with how high the tide was...I knew of some spots before with my other boat that were shallow, but it seemed a feet deeper everywhere today. I am still waiting for my batteries for Yak Power, so my Lowerance Hook 7 did nothing for me today,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:19 am 

""She handles well and even against all of them I got where I wanted to be...""

That quote sums up why I too, made the decision to go w these behemoth, albeit "Lead sled" kayaks--
(oops: "fishing platformsssss")...

they're still just "kayaks" ... going in saltwater conditions that can change in seconds.

"There are old pilots, there are bold pilots, but no old-bold pilots".
"Do you feel lucky, punk?", I asked myself? :scratch: "Nope", came back the prompt reply. :shaking:

Therefore, they're "right for me", so I pedal faster and shuddup. lol.

Better luck & more fish on your 2nd "cruise". :salute:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:25 pm 

Hey iLL...I think you signed one post as "Larry".....whatever...LOL!!

I got a good chuckle from reading your post and hearing about the issues and problems that your encountered..AND OVERCAME!! :cheers: :pukeleft: :salute:

All of us have had to overcome the "learner's curve", and many of us take longer than others..... :scratch:

I have an anchor and cordage and a spool, but I have not used it in 5-6 years....my Stake Out Pole (SOP) does great in just about all conditions and places. Just remember that high tides and windy days that the shore/grassline is your friend. Best way I can tell you is to back into the grass and plant your SOP...you are sheltered from the winds and tides and you are facing out toward the water...and you can fish left, center, and right of your SOP position...
JohnYaksJax
PS: Congrats on getting you new kayak slimed with that 17" trout....was it invited home to supper??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:55 pm 

John,

Yea, it was a good shakedown for sure. I spent all day today fixing things, re-positioning things, and just making sure next time it goes a lot smoother. Plus I starting the wiring of my Yak Power system...still waiting on the Dakota 12v 10AH batteries to get here to finish things up.

Excited for the wind to die down a little bit and try again.

Unfortunately where I was today, the grass wasn't as high as I used to...think it was because the tide was about a foot above average and it threw all my bearings off...