Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:55 pm
Posts: 2
I sure this topic has been beat to death but I could really use some advice..I am wanting to get a fishing kayak again. I had a 2014 perception Pescador 12 that I fell out of twice (once in 40 degrees water temp)and it kinda turned me off of kayaking. I really want to give it another shot. I’m 6’2 230 so I’m not a small fella. What I am looking for is a kayak that I want feel like I’m going to fall out of evertime I move or turn around to get to the cooler. I want something that want hold water and keep u wet. Would like something that paddles easy, can stand up if wanted to, a comfortable beach style chair for sitting. Also I would like to stay under 1100.00 if possible. I know I asking a lot. I will be fishing backwater creeks, bays and lakes from time to time. I just bought a brand new key west 1720 but I want something for the quick after work trips and when I don’t want to spend hours cleaning the boat after use. I really like the looks of the pelican catch 120 and the Kaku wahoo. However I have never been in either one of them. I’m just looking for some advice on what I should get and what I should be looking for. I would love to have a Hobie outback or PA but I just can’t justify spending the money. Thanks guys in advance for your help and I look forward to fishing with some you guys in the future


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:35 pm
Posts: 547
Location: Lake Park, GA
A Hobie Compass is $1950 new. A lot cheaper than an Outback or Pro Angler. ;)

_________________
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:55 pm
Posts: 2
SRAces wrote:
A Hobie Compass is $1950 new. A lot cheaper than an Outback or Pro Angler. ;)

I have heard there are issues with the seat not staying in place when peddling is this true?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:10 pm
Posts: 131
Location: Middleburg Florida
ragincajun92 wrote:
I sure this topic has been beat to death but I could really use some advice..I am wanting to get a fishing kayak again. I had a 2014 perception Pescador 12 that I fell out of twice (once in 40 degrees water temp)and it kinda turned me off of kayaking. I really want to give it another shot. I’m 6’2 230 so I’m not a small fella. What I am looking for is a kayak that I want feel like I’m going to fall out of evertime I move or turn around to get to the cooler. I want something that want hold water and keep u wet. Would like something that paddles easy, can stand up if wanted to, a comfortable beach style chair for sitting. Also I would like to stay under 1100.00 if possible. I know I asking a lot. I will be fishing backwater creeks, bays and lakes from time to time. I just bought a brand new key west 1720 but I want something for the quick after work trips and when I don’t want to spend hours cleaning the boat after use. I really like the looks of the pelican catch 120 and the Kaku wahoo. However I have never been in either one of them. I’m just looking for some advice on what I should get and what I should be looking for. I would love to have a Hobie outback or PA but I just can’t justify spending the money. Thanks guys in advance for your help and I look forward to fishing with some you guys in the future
Malibu X Factor.
It ain't fast, but it is wide and loads of room.

Ocean Kayak Prowler big game.
Same as above.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

_________________
Malibu X Factor
Malibu Mini X


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 pm
Posts: 48
That's a tall order for that price point, IMO. My $.02 worth?
I really can't comment on other companies'.
I only really know Hobie's ... from past reputation and personal experience 40+ years, of watching their Cat's blow my doors off. That much fun shouldn't be legal. Their designs have always been superb-- sailing or fishing. I couldn't beat them, so I joined 'em (I thought of this.. they had it; I asked "what about that"? there it was). I gave up trying to out-think those guys.

Anyhow:
"Well-Used" and "Gracefully Aged" ... would be the only ways you're going to accomplish your goal for Hobie (especially) or anyone else.
Ebay or Craig's List. There's some out there now, despite being at the beginning of the season.
You're going to have to sacrifice "Age, dings, scrapes, dents and bells/whistles" ... for your price point.

I think pre-2016 PA and Outback (?) models don't have the Mirage Drives with reverse. Or said another way: 2017's came out with 180.
I think pre-2014 (?) came out with Turbo fins (faster).
I dunno when their seats were upgraded per se... you could look all that up on Google.

Hobie has superb designs; but their marketing Dept. doles out their engineering genius one... slow... drip... at... a ... time. It's all part of their plan, their grand strategy.
You're gonna have to go back in time to make those successive sacrifices. But with each year, each "whistle", knock off another "x" ___ $$$ amount.
There's always "Bondo" and 1-2 oyster beds later ... who cares? Knock off another coupla quid.
Good luck ! :cheers:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 pm
Posts: 48
PS:
I forgot the "Weight Capacity" factor, which definitely entered into my decision.
We're roughly the same in height/weight. PA's have 600 lb capacity.
I threw my "Half-life" rule at such stuff some engineer comes up with in a gentle wave pond,
vs some real-world experience in salt water: therefore, max 300 lbs.
Call me cautious.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 pm
Posts: 48
:cool: "Dude" !
Check the For Sale/Sail section here/within. :bounce: :bounce:
You've got a fellow with (trying to remember the specifics)...
~ ~
$1800,
PA-12
~ 2013
selling one ...

Lives in Palm Coast. Coming down in Mid-March.
That should be close enough for you to spot his ad.

:smoke: :salute: :santa: :cheers:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 pm
Posts: 48
another fellow in there selling a hobie pa 12 for about 1500

you definitely need to peruse the For Sale section

cheers! good luck


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 901
I have one of these along with a Wilderness Tarpon. They come in a variety of colors and are in the price range that you asked for. You can wait and while and find a good used one like I did. The tunnel/cat hull design of the Native is very stable but not as fast as the Tarpon, however the 12' only weighs about 50 lbs and the 14.5 a little bit more. The seat is superb and dry. I find that I always grab this one when I'm going kayaking.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/NATIVE- ... lsrc=aw.ds


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:35 pm
Posts: 547
Location: Lake Park, GA
ragincajun92 wrote:
SRAces wrote:
A Hobie Compass is $1950 new. A lot cheaper than an Outback or Pro Angler. ;)

I have heard there are issues with the seat not staying in place when peddling is this true?


The only issue with the seat is operator error when not securing it to the correct connection points. The people that complained that it would move were attaching the seat back straps to the seat base and not the connections on the side walls beside the seat. The seat on my Compass is rock solid. ;)

_________________
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya


Last edited by SRAces on Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:13 pm
Posts: 180
Location: Jax Beach
I sold my Jackson Cuda 12 for around that price point a while back and I loved that kayak. I am about your same build (6'1" and 245) and never felt like I was going to fall out with any movement. I was able to stand and paddle, but I found quickly that with my body type and balance, that I am just not suited to stand and fish out of many kayaks that I tried over at black creek (unless you grab a PA). I could stand and stretch my legs and move around for a bit, but not like some of the videos that you will see of people walking all around their kayak like its no problem. You can probably find a used on for what you are looking to spend. I have also heard really good things about the Coosa, but can't attest to the validity.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:21 pm
Posts: 14720
Location: Neptune Beach, FL
Hello ragincajun92 and Welcome to JKF!!!
Two quick questions for you.....where do you live (generally) and what kind of water will you be fishing??
I have been involved in kayak fishing since 2003 and have recommended and sold many of them here in the JAX area....but I have always tried to get the customer a kayak that fits their needs and environment/location.
JohnYaksJax


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
phpBB SEO

Contact Us SiteMap Copyright © 2004-2015 JaxKayakFishing LLC, All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use/Privacy Policy