Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:01 pm 

Words are inadequate to describe how much I appreciate all your prayers, love and support over these last 3 ½ years. Chad has fought the good fight and it looks like his battle with Cancer is almost over. He will be leaving the Cancer treatment center in Newnan tomorrow and coming home to his family under Hospice care. We are praising God that soon he will be pain free and will never have to suffer again.

This Ol’ Captain loves this Forum and I have grown to love many of you. I thank you for your support for me and my family and hope that you will continue to pray for Chad and his family during the days ahead.

Last edited by olcaptain on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:10 pm 

Thoughts and prayers for Chad!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:08 am 

Horace...I have sat here and stared at my PC screen for almost 30 minutes and I still have NO IDEA what to reply to you and your family....

Altho I have only met you and your brother, Dan, one time, I feel like I know your whole family....your wonderful wife Ramona and your daughter and her family, especially the Boys,and I feel like I know some of the others too...and Max of course...

I will lift up Chad in my prayers more than ever and I still believe in miracles, so maybe he will be blessed by one, even at this late stage. The strength of your family has been unwavering and I know they will be strong for Chad and he is in my thoughts and prayers even more than before.
God Bless you and your whole family, and Chad will have even more people praying for him!!
John Stewart

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:48 pm 

It has been clear through all of this that Chad is a real fighter. I only wish the prayers had led to a better prognosis. The faith you and your family display has been amazing. God bless Chad, you and the rest of your family.....but I am not giving up on those prayers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:04 am 

I have a new friend here at our church named John Lemme. I attended his 12 year old son’s funeral about a year ago. Due to a birth defect his son was bed ridden all his life and NEVER made a voluntary movement. John said a few words at the Service and I learned volumes that day. John spoke about how fortunate he was to be this precious boy’s Dad and what a blessing he had been to him. I sat there and thought that boy has never run to first base and I’ve seen Chad hit balls so far that they were never found. I thought that child has never shot a layup and I watched Chad score over 1000 HS Varsity points. That child has never been in a weight room and I’ve watched Chad sling 100 lb dumbbells as if they were toys..
I was changed once again that day. I knew it was time to shine instead of whine because I had been feeling sorry for myself instead of looking at the big picture. As time passed I saw Chad in a new light. He was more than just an athletic son, hard worker and good provider. Because of God’s grace and salvation, I witnessed as Chad became a “new creation.” He has always been kind and gentle at heart but over the last few years I’ve seen him with the actions of Jesus in that he was more interested in ministering than being ministered unto. Throughout this 3 ½ year journey there have been many other wake up calls for me. No Dad could be any prouder of their children and their Mother than I am. I have been blessed beyond measure just to be on the team. There have been hundreds if not thousands of people loving on us and praying for us since day one and as I look at names in many cases it is because one of us took time to be kind to them in some small way somewhere along the line. Do we reap what we sow? You bet your sweet life on it! Because we have shown love, we are being loved. Not much else matters. Our God is Sovereign and He knows best. Job of the Old Testament asked his wife “Shall we accept good from God and not adversity?” and then the Bible says that in all this, Job did not sin with his lips (Didn’t whine, didn’t blame God, etc)
I joked in my weird way the other day when Billy Graham died, and I thought how cool would it be for Chad and Billy to pass on the same day? I went further into my weirdness by setting the scene where as the pair crossed Heaven’s threshold that some of the angels might have asked “I wonder who that old dude is with Chad?”
I don’t know how long Chad or I either one has left on this side of Heaven. The Holy Scriptures teach us that our days are numbered and only God has that answer. God could and might miraculously heal Chad and He will be healed in one way or another and in His own sweet time. Until then, my heart is breaking, and I’ve cried uncontrollably more than once. But rest assured my faith is rock solid and although I don’t know the whys in all this I trust my life and my eternity completely in the One who does.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:59 am 

I have never met you Horace or members of your family, but I feel like I have known you for years. I have read every single one of your posts on this forum, both the happy and sad ones. I am about the same age as you are and I have lost many members of my family to cancer. So your posts are particularly relevant to what I have experienced in the past. Your posts are always inspirational. Your faith, goodness of heart, and your love for God, your family, and Maximus Relaximus are apparent in everything you write. The world would truly be a better place if we had more people on this earth like you and your family. I believe in miracles, and I am praying for a miracle for your son Chad. Godspeed my friend, and I hope to meet you one day.
Glenn Richardson, Neptune Beach, Florida.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:50 pm 

Horace,
As with many others on this site, I have really enjoyed reading all of your posts. As a matter of fact, when it looks like one of your titles from the post on the forum I always go to it first. That being said, I too feel like I know you. My family continues to lift Chad in our prayers and know that God is in control. Your outspoken spirituality is a blessing to many people, I'm one of them. Please know that our prayers will not stop and they are not only for Chad, but for his family and his loved ones as well. I pray that the Lord will continue to bless you with peace.
Your brother in Christ,
Doug McCullough aka "DougyMillCove"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:06 pm 

Thank you guys for these kind and wonderful words of encouragement.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:59 am 

Chad is still hanging in there this AM. He is comfortable, at home, and under hospice care. Please continue to pray for his wife Meredith , our family, and supporting cast. These are long days and longer nights.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:33 pm 

Horace....Thank you for the update on Chad, and I would guess that no one is giving up on him recovering....he is a strong, tough and brave young man and God does miracles, so I am still praying for him, and for all his supporters!!
Blessings for Chad and your whole family.....John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:34 pm 

Chad’s battle with Cancer is over. He has finished strong and he has left our family’s arms and is now in the arms of Jesus. No more Chemo. No more pain. No more suffering. We thank you all for your love and prayers throughout our journey and ask that you keep us in your prayers in the days and weeks ahead.

We will be sharing arrangements later as they unfold. Until then, we love you all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:43 pm 

Horace.....So very sorry to hear that Chad lost his courageous battle with cancer.
He certainly had the thoughts and prayers of hundreds of friends and well wishers, and he fought bravely.
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Ramona and Lauren and other family members....and to the others who I never met....
He is now with God in Heaven and that is better place than he had been for awhile.
Take care my friend.....John Stewart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:03 pm 

Obituary for Chad Matthew LaFavor

Mr. Chad Matthew LaFavor, 42, of Powder Springs, Georgia passed away Monday, March 5, 2018. He was born January 30, 1976 in Atlanta, Georgia, the son of Mr. Horace Frederick LaFavor and Mrs. Ramona Jean Gifford LaFavor. He was a standout basketball player at Lithia Springs High School. He married Meredith Lawhon on June 22, 1996 in Lithia Springs. He was a hard worker with a strong work ethic. He was employed as a Forklift Operator for Argos USA Cement. He enjoyed weightlifting, coaching basketball and spending time with his family. He enjoyed watching and supporting his daughter in travel softball. He was an avid fan of the Duke Blue Devils. He was a devoted Christian man and loved his family dearly. He was a member of the Villa Rica First Baptist Church. He was a man who made a difference in the lives of others.
He is survived by his wife of 21 years, Meredith Lawhon LaFavor of Powder Springs; daughter, Macie LaFavor; son, Jake LaFavor; his parents, Horace and Ramona LaFavor of Eatonton; sister and brother-in-law, Lauren and Chris Brown of Milledgeville; his maternal grandmother, Dorothy Gifford of Austell; one granddaughter, Sadie Brooke LaFavor; four nephews, Gage Brown, Carter Brown, Caleb Schmidt, and Noah Schmidt; niece, Hannah Schmidt; several aunts, uncles and cousins.

The family will receive friends at the Villa Rica First Baptist Church, 1483 W. Highway 78, Villa Rica, GA 30180, Saturday, March 10, 2018 from 12:00 PM until 2:00 PM. Memorial Services will be conducted immediately following the visitation at 2:00 PM at the Villa Rica First Baptist Church with Dr. Kevin Williams officiating.

In lieu of flowers, contributions in his memory may be made to Jones-Wynn Funeral Home & Crematory, 2189 Midway Road, Douglasville, GA 30135, for the continuing education of the children.

Messages of condolence to the family may be sent at http://www.jones-wynn.com. Jones-Wynn Funeral Home & Crematory of Douglasville is in charge of arrangements. 770-942-2311

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:53 pm 

Horace,
I'm sorry to hear that Chad is no longer here, but I know that he is at rest and no longer in pain. Please know that our prayers will continue for you, your family and friends who are all dealing with his passing. I pray that the Lord will grant you all peace.
Doug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:08 am 

Very sorry for your loss, but very happy that you had a wonderful son for 42 years. From what you have written, it sounds like he was a person that made others better by having known him. I will always remember the picture of Chad holding Max by the handle of his life jacket. It made me laugh.