Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snook
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:17 pm 

Whats going on guys and gals.
I'm pretty new to the kayak fishing scene so I was wondering if I could get some pointers.
I usually launch around the Oak Harbor Ramp and was wondering if any one has caught any Snook around there and what you used to get it?
I have yet to hook up with one and would love to make the first one be from a kayak. Also, have any tarpon been hooked up around there?

Thanks

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Snook
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:34 pm 

Not this time of year. Summer time fish. Snook have taken another hit this year same as in 2010 from the cold.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:51 pm 

I caught one about 15 inches before the cold hit on a black back supending mirrolure a few miles south of there he was mixed in with a school of small tarpon I also caught a few fingerlings cast netting for mullet, but as has been mentioned the cold most likely impacted the few snook we do have up here.

Last edited by Fishinguy21 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:54 pm 

When do you think they will start showing up again if they do at all?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:50 pm 

TBLightning19 wrote:
When do you think they will start showing up again if they do at all?

I haven't fished here as long as some of the other members, but in my experience there is a much more consistent snook bite just south of here. I caught a nice snook around the JTB bridge back in October. I caught a couple smaller ones around the beach blvd bridge a week or two after that. Those are the only Snook I've ever caught in Jacksonville. I have some friends that live in the neighborhoods just of San Pablo by the mayo clinic and they will catch one from time to time, but nothing consistent.

I fish in the Daytona area every now and then and the bite down there is usually very good. It seems like you can catch them pretty easily off of the piers on the intracoastal. I'm sure they bite well back in the backwaters as well, just never fished much back there.

-jt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:09 pm 

My good buddy SRAces and I took a trip to south west Florida to catch Snook. What seemed to be working the best for us was a White Berkley soft bait. They came in a multi pack with the hooks already in them. I want to say they were about 5" in length. Another good friend who I used to live around the corner from in Mill Cove caught one about 200 yards from my back door. I want to say he caught it on a top water but I'm not sure. He threw to the weeds and was using a fast retrieve. That's something about catching Snook that I remember, fast retrieve seems to work well. However, if it's still cold down there they may not be too active. I hope they didn't take as bad of a hit as 2010. It seems like they were really picking back up.
DMC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:33 pm 

We caught 2 snook a few weekends ago in the Fenholloway River near Perry, Florida. They were about 18 inches each. We fished Crystal River the last 4 days of December before the cold snaps hit and probably caught 65-70 snook between 3 of us. We are seeing snook in the Big Bend area of the Gulf now, so that is a good sign. Just no numbers yet. It's my understanding that the cold snaps we went through did impact young snook in several areas around Crystal River.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Ambassador
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:48 pm 

Thanks guys. It looks like I will be waiting for the water temp to rise before I start seeing them. Sooner or later I'll add one to my species list.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:42 pm 

An old school of thought says: "NO MANGROVE TREES = NO SNOOK"....
It's not foolproof, but it is a good point to consider, and the further South you go, the better chance you have of seeing mangroves....even down to south of St. Augustine will improve your chances greatly....like the Marineland and Princess Place Preserve areas used to be a good place to go and you can do a "day trip" down there.

My first lifetime snookie was actually just south of the JTB Bridge also...back in the Marsh Landing area near Roscoe Road....it was only about 15" but I loved catching it and it was in a canoe, so it "counted" as a kayak/canoe catch!!
JYJ