Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:16 pm 

Last Wednesday and Thursday I went down to the Econ River area on the St. Johns for shad and got lucky. The shad were really running well and everyone was catching fish, both spinning and fly tackle anglers. Get there early because by 10 AM on Thursday I had 20 kayakers and boaters near me. Even though it was crowded everyone was on their good behavior and nobody was crowding out fellow fishermen.

https://youtu.be/suCALvmiRdE

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:06 am 

very good video. looks like a good trip

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:16 pm 

I was there last Tuesday fly fishing, not as productive as your trip but caught some as well as two very good sized bream, and two large crappie. Were you picking up most of your hits near the bottom. I don't think I was getting deep enough to really get in to them. They are a blast to fight on light gear.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:17 pm 

I was there last Tuesday fly fishing, not as productive as your trip but caught some as well as two very good sized bream, and two large crappie. Were you picking up most of your hits near the bottom. I don't think I was getting deep enough to really get in to them. They are a blast to fight on light gear.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:07 am 

keastman wrote:

All of my hits were on the bottom with a good current flowing. The shad that are not actively spawning are traveling as close to the bottom as they can get to avoid the current and to conserve energy. You may see shad splashing on the surface but these fish are only interested in the act of spawning and don't hit lures or flies. Splashing fish on the surface are a good indicator that there are shad on the bottom that will eat a lure or fly. Hope this helps and if you have any other questions let me know and good luck on your next trip.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:11 pm 

I've know a few fly fishers that have been popping them off the surface this year with sub surface minnow type flies. Wonder how far up river they are hitting now. Probably closer to Titiusville if at all.