Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Member Introduction
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:53 pm 

Greetings Everybody,

I figured I'd try and introduce myself.

I'm a Florida Native; I was born and raised in Jacksonville. Surprisingly, I don't have a whole lot of fishing experience, and zero experience in a Kayak. Fishing was something I normally did on vacation, but I'm working on fishing regularly.

I just started my way into the Fly Fishing world after Turkey Day. Frustrating, but I can feel myself making progress. I've currently been focusing on fly fishing the surf. No fish yet. Although folks might say to wait, I'm considering picking up Fly Tying when I get back on land.

I don't yet own a kayak but, I'm looking to buy one in January or April. I believe I'll primarily be inland fly fishing, but at some point I'd like to give BTB a try. Looking into a Jackson Kraken 13.5.

For the past year, I've been working as a deckhand aboard tugboats and towboats on the Mississippi River system and Gulf of Mexico. I'm home for 12 days at a time and gone for 28, so my schedule favors more weekday excursions.

Perhaps I'll be meeting some of you in the future.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:05 pm 

Hello PineappleOranges and Welcome to JKF!!

Nice intro of yourself and your recent affection for kayak fishing...Be careful since it is an addiction...(I have almost 900 kayak fishing trips now!!!) :roll:

I am a P/T (very P/T!!) employee at Black Creek Outfitters and would be happy to meet you there someday if you wanna test paddle/pedal a few...including the Kraken. Dunno if you have ever been there, but we have a 22 acre F/W lake just 12 steps behind the store and over 60 kayaks that you can test paddle...for FREE of course!!
Good Luck on the Fly Fishing...it can become a nasty habit, and I'm finally getting into it...LOL!!!
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:25 am 

Hello Pineapple, welcome to JFK. As far as a kayak for fly fishing, I would suggest looking at the Old Town Predator MX. Very easy to paddle and turn, an extremely comfortable adjustable seat, not too heavy to handle by yourself, useable storage areas, very stable and easy to stand up, paddle and cast from. The oversized flat floor area in front of the seat makes a great spot to strip your fly line into without tangling on anything. It also is a very quiet kayak as far as hull slap which is extremely important when your trying to get close enough to cast to a tailing red. I would tend to stay away from a peddle kayak for this application (even though I own 2) because there are just too many things to hang your fly line on. When I grab my fly rod, I always take out the Diablo. Another good option is a paddle board and a Yeti cooler if you want to take the minalamist approach. Please take John up on his offer. It’s the coolest thing to be able to go out in the lake in back of BCO and paddle any kayak your considering to really test out all the boat’s nuances before you make the big investment. Great people and a lot of knowledge. I live in central Florida but I will always make the drive up to Jacksonville any time I am considering something new. Hope this helps. Tight lines. John

Gheenoe Highsider