Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:59 pm 

Never Underestimate the Value of a Flat Tail Worm

Incredible. December 1st here on Lake Sinclair and almost 70 degrees. No wind in sight and temperatures were pushing 60 by 8:00AM. It wasn’t a matter of were we going fishing. We both knew under these conditions, we had to go!

I had several goals this morning as we embarked (I love using that word) on today’s adventure. My first main goal was to try out my newly installed Ol’ Captain’s version of the “Anchor Trolley.”

My second goal was to research the value of a Flat Tail Worm as it relates to catching a Catfish near the Crooked Creek Bridge.

As we crossed the lake on our way to the bridge my mind began to wander. My arms make weaken at times but I never grow tired of the scenery on the way from our dock to the bridge…..

About half way over I asked my partner for a little help but rather than dog paddle, he decided to go below.

Before I get off track I want to go back to the Anchor Trolley. It is designed so that the “O” ring can slide easily to bow or stern. You can wrap your anchor rope around something buoyant then let your anchor out. Once it is out you secure the rope to the float and snap it into the “O” ring. Then, without getting up, you can move your anchor rope in either direction! In 25 or more feet of water this method may prove to keep a dog as well as a Medicare Card bone dry!

Now for the Flat Tails. A proprietor of one of the local Bait Shops has been talking up these worms for some time now. I had a bit of leftover shrimp from another voyage, so I added a Cup of the Magic worms to my fishing quiver this morning. Now folks, if you don’t like dirty hands or a bit of worm dirt in your boat, this bait isn’t for you. As far as that goes, you might not even like dealing with the leftover Shrimp.

Well all I know is that the proof is always in the puddin’. The Anchor Trolley worked great and Max and I had our best day ever at the Crooked Creek Bridge!!

Our life lesson for today is this: Never Underestimate the Value of a Flat Tail Worm!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:43 pm 

I'd have to set that value pretty high! Nice bag 'o cats! :thumbright:

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:04 pm 

internetpilot wrote:
I'd have to set that value pretty high! Nice bag 'o cats! :thumbright:

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:13 am 

Those are some nice fish and worms. Those look like some good eating. In the NE we used to just call them night crawlers. You go out and night with a red light and pick them as they come out of the earth and stretch out in the grass. A light rain or heavy dew ensures a good night picking.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:36 am 

nice fish and another great tale.

Growing up, my brother and I would visit my grandparents in wisconsin and do a lot of fishing. One of my grandpa's friends had a very novel way of catching night crawlers: he'd hook up some wires to a car battery and run a current into the ground. It may sound like BS but it really did work. The worms quickly came crawling out of the dirt.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:00 am 

Yup, I've seen that technique before. Works in a hurry. You can also dump dish soap and water mix on the ground and get them to come out.