Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:46 pm 

Where do Beaches guys prefer to launch? I’m familiar with Oak Harbour and Dutton Island but not much else.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:23 am 

I've launched under Atlantic bridge paddled north and done very well I haven't paddled south all that much but there's a good amount of trout and I've caught a few slot mangrove snapper there as well. I stick to the bank on the incoming and outgoing because it get can pretty rough out there in the middle and there's a good amount of boat traffic, There's also usually a few bank fisherman there I make it a point to ask if they mind me launching around them just to make sure I don't get a pyramid sinker cast at me. Do a forum search under Atlantic Bridge you should see some other reports of the area.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:53 pm 

There are several launch areas that were built by the City of Jax...and none of them are worth a damn!! (I have a Master's Degree in Parks and Recreation) and offered to help the City of Jax make these more useful, but they "had it under control".

Best..or WORST...example is Castaway Island Park which is on the west side of the ICW and off of San Pablo Road and just north of Beach Blvd. GREAT park design but the kayak launch is terrible and will never be any good until they dredge out the creek that you launch into....it is barely floatable at high tide and you probably have a total time of 6 hours to launch and fish there at High Tide. Then, you have a very long (100 to 300 yards) of soft mud/muck to slog thru if you miss the "window":
http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/bch2atl.html

Look above at the top of this page at FISHING SPOTS and there are maps and descriptions of many smaller creeks on it.
Also, the link on there for the City of JAX (COJ) does no longer work, but you should be able to get that info from the Jacksonville Parks and Recreation Dept.
There are two "launches" that I cannot recall the name for....one is up near Dutton Island and the other is down near Beaches Medical Center, but both have a VERY long portage to get to the water, even at high tide!!

Finally, the public boat ramp and parking area down near Beach Marina is pretty decent and gets you into good fishing area quickly. Look up Safe Harbor Seafood down near 20th Street and Rick's Bait & Tackle and you will find it!!
Good Luck and Tight Lines....JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:28 pm 

John I agree with you assessment of Castaway. Many kayak launches the city built aren't worth the paper they were drawn on.
Sherman Creek is ok at high tide.

Sea Ghost 130
Caster 12.5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:00 pm 

I've always launched at Beach Marina. You can go north or south from there and there's some really nice creeks. I've only had two frequent "problems" there. First, when the dolphins show up (and they often do there) your fishing is over unless you just want to practice casting. Second, a lot of shore fishermen use the kayak launch to fish and it can make it difficult to get back in at the launch with so many lines in the water. I've never had an altercation or anything, but it can be a little annoying. You can always just go around the corner (same parking lot) and use the boat ramp, but sometimes that's pretty busy with big boats, too. I hooked up (but didn't land) a HUGE doormat flounder at the mouth of a creek just north of that launch. Also, I was drifting with the current to the south, trolling two paddletails behind me and fishing one in front of me, and got my one and only triple hookup (all at the same time) -- all lower slot trout. It's pretty good fishing. Watch out for the mini-cruiseliners on the intercoastal!

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:43 pm 

There is a decent city boat ramp off A1A in a neighborhood just south of Wonderwood that gives good access to the Intracoastal, look up the location on the city website. Its easy to put in at the little Jetties. A couple of creeks easy to get into on A1A going into Mayport. And as noted above, under the Atlantic Blvd bridge. Have to be careful if you go thru the channel under the bridge though, the tidal currents get strong and you may not get through the reverse current coming back. I've seen small motor boats not get thru on the running tide there.