Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:05 pm 

Hi folks. I'll be heading to the Ponte Vedra area for a week in early June 2018. Although it's a family vacation, I am hoping to get out and fish the surf and also rent a kayak to get into some marsh areas. My goal is to catch redfish and flounder on the fly. Pompano would be cool too since I've never caught one of those.

I am looking for any recommendations that you would be willing to offer. PM me any suggestions!

Thanks in advance.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:01 am 

lots of reds in the ponte vedra marsh areas right now there are some primitive kayak launches around butler bridge. right now the fish are shallow so get pick a creek and wait for low tide and start looking you will see them if there in that creek. popcorn shrimp fly has been working good. I also saw a nice flounder jump clear out of the water chasing bait while stalking redfish in 5 inches of water.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:44 am 

catfishcandy wrote:
lots of reds in the ponte vedra marsh areas right now there are some primitive kayak launches around butler bridge. right now the fish are shallow so get pick a creek and wait for low tide and start looking you will see them if there in that creek. popcorn shrimp fly has been working good. I also saw a nice flounder jump clear out of the water chasing bait while stalking redfish in 5 inches of water.

Thanks. I won't be going until June, does the info stay the same?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:39 pm 

Hello mrl0004 and hope you get on them while you are down here...in a few months...LOL!!

Basically, the High Tide/Low Tide results do not vary much...unless there is a Nor'easter or other type of storm....but June is pretty calm.

In the meantime, I would recommend that you check in here occasionally and see what is biting in the surf and in the Ponte Vedra area. Beach fishing for pompano and other ocean fishing should be good then and the South P.V.B. area is easy to drive to and park and surf fish....and there are normally pompano, bluefish, seatrout, whiting and croakers in the surf there...and you never know what else is swimming in the surf line.

For renting a kayak, it would be difficult to not consider "Palm Valley Outdoors" which is under the S.R. 210 Bridge and they rent kayaks and you can launch and fish right there, altho there are some pretty big yachts going thru there and pushing a wake!! They are right on the ICW and there are lots of docks, smaller creeks, and oyster bars to explore.
Their addy is 377 South Roscoe Blvd in PVB, FL. 32082
904-834-7504
Pretty sure their website is: www.palmvalleyoutdoors.com

They also have a good restaurant for lunch of dinner and whoever you are traveling with could drop you off and pick you up there...and grab lunch or supper.
As we get closer to your trip, specifics might change, so keep this thread alive then.
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:07 pm 

JohnYaksJax wrote:
Hello mrl0004 and hope you get on them while you are down here...in a few months...LOL!!

Basically, the High Tide/Low Tide results do not vary much...unless there is a Nor'easter or other type of storm....but June is pretty calm.

In the meantime, I would recommend that you check in here occasionally and see what is biting in the surf and in the Ponte Vedra area. Beach fishing for pompano and other ocean fishing should be good then and the South P.V.B. area is easy to drive to and park and surf fish....and there are normally pompano, bluefish, seatrout, whiting and croakers in the surf there...and you never know what else is swimming in the surf line.

For renting a kayak, it would be difficult to not consider "Palm Valley Outdoors" which is under the S.R. 210 Bridge and they rent kayaks and you can launch and fish right there, altho there are some pretty big yachts going thru there and pushing a wake!! They are right on the ICW and there are lots of docks, smaller creeks, and oyster bars to explore.
Their addy is 377 South Roscoe Blvd in PVB, FL. 32082
904-834-7504
Pretty sure their website is: http://www.palmvalleyoutdoors.com

They also have a good restaurant for lunch of dinner and whoever you are traveling with could drop you off and pick you up there...and grab lunch or supper.
As we get closer to your trip, specifics might change, so keep this thread alive then.
JohnYaksJax

Thanks! I appreciate the info. I definitely want to get into some marshy areas with oyster beds, as I know that's where the reds like to be!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:44 pm 

You can rent kayaks, paddle boards, etc. at North Guana Outpost off Mickler Rd. off A1A in Ponte Vedra. And also launch from there and have good fishing there also.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:21 pm 

One of the best places to fish in Ponte Vedra is Guana Lake (aka Lake Ponte Vedra). It's a dammed saltwater lake, so there's no tides to worry about, which can help when you're fishing as time allows during a family vacation. There's also a 10hp motor limit on the lake, so you don't have to worry about big boats, jet skis, etc. There are some arguably record setting trout in the lake, and although a bull red is rare, the redfish aren't too shabby either. There are occasionally flounder down by the dam, croakers, as well as Big Uglies (black drum). You can rent a kayak from Palm Valley Outdoors (which isn't too far from the lake) or like Lynda posted, you can just rent one from Guana Outpost, which is actually on the lake and you can launch right there.

About the only issue you may have in June is that the "powers that be" who maintain Guana Lake always do a spring draw-down on the lake (lower the levels through the dam) to allow vegetation to recover as well kill off algae blooms, manage the salinity of the lake, etc. There's actually good science behind it, but it's mostly just annoying to us bratty fisherman because it makes the northern half of the lake basically unfishable and frequently not even enough water for kayaks to float. During this time, the fishing is still pretty good on the southern half of the lake (closer to the dam), but with a lot less water it can get a lot more crowded. Sometimes the spring draw-down is still going on in June (depending on the science/strategy that year), so you may have to take whatever rental kayak you get down to the dam to launch. In that situation, it just might be easier to fish the intercoastal at the Palm Valley Bridge (which is where the Palm Valley Outdoors shop and launch is actually located). The intercoastal can get a little busy with some pretty big boats, though, so if you're not decently experienced at kayaking, I would still recommend Guana Lake.

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5
Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:16 am 

internetpilot wrote:
One of the best places to fish in Ponte Vedra is Guana Lake (aka Lake Ponte Vedra). It's a dammed saltwater lake, so there's no tides to worry about, which can help when you're fishing as time allows during a family vacation. There's also a 10hp motor limit on the lake, so you don't have to worry about big boats, jet skis, etc. There are some arguably record setting trout in the lake, and although a bull red is rare, the redfish aren't too shabby either. There are occasionally flounder down by the dam, croakers, as well as Big Uglies (black drum). You can rent a kayak from Palm Valley Outdoors (which isn't too far from the lake) or like Lynda posted, you can just rent one from Guana Outpost, which is actually on the lake and you can launch right there.

About the only issue you may have in June is that the "powers that be" who maintain Guana Lake always do a spring draw-down on the lake (lower the levels through the dam) to allow vegetation to recover as well kill off algae blooms, manage the salinity of the lake, etc. There's actually good science behind it, but it's mostly just annoying to us bratty fisherman because it makes the northern half of the lake basically unfishable and frequently not even enough water for kayaks to float. During this time, the fishing is still pretty good on the southern half of the lake (closer to the dam), but with a lot less water it can get a lot more crowded. Sometimes the spring draw-down is still going on in June (depending on the science/strategy that year), so you may have to take whatever rental kayak you get down to the dam to launch. In that situation, it just might be easier to fish the intercoastal at the Palm Valley Bridge (which is where the Palm Valley Outdoors shop and launch is actually located). The intercoastal can get a little busy with some pretty big boats, though, so if you're not decently experienced at kayaking, I would still recommend Guana Lake.

Thanks for the great info! I have been leaning more towards Guana Lake, primarily because of the variety. I really want to catch a redfish primarily, but flounder is a goal on the fly and trout are always fun! I am pretty experienced in kayak fishing. But I still get tangled in my fly line and lose fish with the best of them! :beg:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:24 pm 

mrl0004 wrote:
internetpilot wrote:

Thanks for the great info! I have been leaning more towards Guana Lake, primarily because of the variety. I really want to catch a redfish primarily, but flounder is a goal on the fly and trout are always fun! I am pretty experienced in kayak fishing. But I still get tangled in my fly line and lose fish with the best of them! :beg:

Surf fishing, I have fished PVB/Jax for nearly 20 years and June is not the best time of year for surf fishing IMHO

I've been fishing the PVB inshore area by kayak for going on 3 years now and prefer to fish the Intracoastal back waters than Guana.

I actually like the Tidal flows as that establishes ambush points that are a bit more predictable than mostly tideless Guana Lake.
If schedules and weather works out, I have a spare kayak and spinning gear if you'd like to get out on a Saturday. However, I do not know much about fly fishing patterns or techniques as I only use artificial lures like Mirrodine and Jigs on spinning tackle.
June should be pretty good for Flounder and Reds inshore.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:29 pm 

This was in early August just after catching twin 16 inch flounders

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:33 pm 

jmdesignz2 wrote:

This was in early August just after catching twin 16 inch flounders

Good lord-Is that a trout? Looks like a grouper... :beg:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:09 pm 

Wow! That is a NICE sea trout! The trip is still planned and I hope I can either fish some backwaters or Guana Lake. Inshore species are my primary target as I mentioned before. It would be cool to get into some pomps, but I know that's a little more hit or miss.

I do not mind fishing with someone that does not fly fish. I am familiar with how to target these species with a fly, but not an expert by any means on locating them!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:53 pm 

What are the exact dates of your trip? I can give you some bow time with the fly rod if the weather cooperates. If your here for a flood tide we can chase some tailing reds in the grass with crab patterns or maybe run the beach and stick something bigger in the bait pods. If weather really cooperates that could be same trip but unlikely.

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:03 am 

guanagator wrote:
What are the exact dates of your trip? I can give you some bow time with the fly rod if the weather cooperates. If your here for a flood tide we can chase some tailing reds in the grass with crab patterns or maybe run the beach and stick something bigger in the bait pods. If weather really cooperates that could be same trip but unlikely.

That would be very generous! I will be there June 3rd-8th, 2018. Not sure what everyone's plans are as this is my wife's family vacation, but they know I intend to fish several days.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:00 am 

Looked at the tides and unfortunately it won’t flood those dates however the first few days of your trip will have an early morning low tide which is perfect for targeting backwater reds in the summer.

Custom Gheenoe NMZ