Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:42 am 

Sunday 11-5-17 High tide at the Little Talbot camp ground launch. The parking lot was flooded with 4 inches of water. I Headed north towards the Myrtle Creek bridge. plenty of wind in my face. Went under the bridge and said what the heck I will try to go all the way to Nassau Sound. Tough time picking my way through the marsh. could hardly find the creek. Eventually got to a wider place with a bend where I caught a trout and a red. I would have liked to stay there for a while, but knew I had a long way to go. Pushing on northward toward the mouth of the creek got another trout. At the junction of Myrtle and Simpson Creek another trout. Again would have liked to stay, but had to push on up Simpson Creek due to time constraints.
One unexpected problem was the rapids under the Bridge of Snags by Kayak Amelia. Took 4 tries to power up through the rushing outgoing tide. Managed to lose a 5$ bait bucket in the process.
Proceeded south toward Fort George river. Hooked a flounder and two more trout. When I got to the southern end of Myrtle the tide was pretty low. I just made it to the ramp without the need to get out and walk. Do not try this at low tide with a pedal drive type kayak (well I guess you would just have to pull up the drive).
It was a fun trip, but a long distance. Sore arms this AM. Most of the fish were caught on 1/8 or 1/4 ounce jig with chartreuse Gulp.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:54 pm 

Hey Gregmozart....nice exploring and fishing trip...and one heck of a workout too!!
You did a nice job of figuring out that area!!

I prefer to launch at the Little Talbot Island Campground launch and fish Myrtle Creek south...to the left...which will join into Simpson Creek in about a mile or less.
You can then turn right/North on Simpson Creek and fish it quite a ways....and I have done very well up there.

There is a fee to park and launch at Little Talbot Island Campground....about $4 I think, but there hours are MUCH better than the launch at Kayak Amelia and they are more punctual about opening the parking area. Also, launching at K.A. is VERY tide dependent and you need to either time it correctly, or plan on slogging thru knee deep muck!!
Have not been to either for almost a year, but there is some VERY good fishing in either creek!!
Good luck.....JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:37 pm 

Thanks for the comments John!
I like to put in at Kayak Amelia on the falling tide, then fish north to Nassau Sound and the north end of Myrtle Creek. The return trip with the incoming tide to K.A. is easy. But I think you have to be back to ramp by 5 PM.
The Myrtle Creek Simpson Creek junction is a popular fishing hole at low tide. You can access it by land from one of the parking lots on Big Talbot after a short walk through the woods. (The popular spot with all the driftwood and fallen trees) I carried/ dragged a small kayak through the woods once. You can also get there by putting in at the Sawpit boat ramp and paddling east to Simpson Creek (I have only tried that in a dinghy with a 5 HP engine. I am guessing it is 2 or 3 miles).
Greg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:40 pm 

Gregmozart,

First off, great job fishing. I have caught some great fish in North Simpson, I miss going there. I had a similar experience at the "Bridge of Snags" at Simpson's Creek months back. It was a year or so since I fished it and was not notified it turned into a rapid on an outgoing tide. I had to get out and walk along A1A :shock: Is it possible to navigate Myrtle Creek at high and low tides to access Simpson's? I have not tried and have not returned to Simpson's as my usual launch was KA. I assumed Myrtle was difficult during a low tide and the "Bridge of Snags" launch used to be a hassle.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:03 pm 

DrStory.....and others who are following this thread....if you look above and click on FISHING SPOTS, you will see a pretty good map of both Myrtle Creek and Simpson Creek.... http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/simpson.html

Both of them flow in North to South directions, depending on the tides, and they join both at the North and South ends and that is what forms Long Island!!!

If you time the trip carefully, you can circumnavigate Long Island....but be warned that the northern part of Myrtle Creek is VERY SHALLOW at low tide, and I have done that trip twice and luckily timed it pretty well, except for other kayakers blocking the North end of Myrtle Creek at Dead Low Tide.....altho I could slog by them and keep moving...slowly!! Starting and getting back to the Little Talbot Island State Park campground means that you do not have to depend on Kayak Amelia's iffy opening and closing schedule!!! :salute:
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:42 pm 

Dreads and I made that trip once.... never again. It wasn't worth it. Very shallow in places, confusing, and one long haul to get back to KA. Plus, the fishing was crappy.