Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trolling motor on a yak?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:31 am 

When I purchased my kayak about a month ago the guy included a trolling motor. It has a good and easy set up and for mounting and removing. I have yet to use it and have just been padding everywhere and getting used to my kayak. I can't lie and say I haven't been curious to throw it on and do some cruising around. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not it's worth having. Also does anyone have experience with registering a kayak? What're the consequences getting caught trolling without registering? Thanks

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:01 am 

If FWC sees you with out FL numbers and a tm on your yak your in for a visit for sure they may warn you or you could get stuck with a few hundred dollars in tickets. To register you need the original paperwork from when the kayak was first sold. A bill of sale alone will work only if it was already registered.

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:14 pm 

Try it (in a remote location if your worried about legality ) chances are you'll throw the paddle away, your going to cover 3 times the amount of water than you would if you paddle, it will enable you to hod the rod while trolling instead of reaching back to get it out of the holder. Once you learn how to fish with the trolling motor, you'll be keeping the fish in front of you, nothing under the kayak or fishing over your shoulder. Newbies tend to think going from point A to B and aren't aware of the possibilities of fishing with the TM.
The first time I got a ticket, I had to fill out a form saying what happened and they threw it out. Keep it legal and you'll fish worry free.

If you don't have the MSO you can call the factory and give them the serial number and they will send you one. The manufacturers are suppose to attach one to the new boat, but some still don't.

Tight Lines
Steve