Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie needs advice
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:18 am 

Good morning,

My son was born last year and is now 14mo. I've been fishing inshore Jax for the past 8+ years, starting on an old john boat and most recently on a 17' skiff. I haven't had much time to fish since my boy was born and as a result just sold my skiff. I'll be upgrading to a bay boat in the next few years, but for now I need access to fish where I can maximize a short time window and fishing from shore just doesn't do much for me. Kayak seems to be the solution.

Any tips on what kind of yak to look for? I'm def looking for used, hoping to get something nice for around $1k. I fish Oak Harbour and Dutton Island primarily and have a pickup truck with a 5.5' bed to carry the boat. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Mike

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Newbie needs advice
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:11 pm 

Hello Mike and Welcome to JKF!!!
Thx for providing that info so that some of us can make a realistic recommendation for you. Need two addt'l pieces of info....your height and weight, since a 6' 7" and 350# person needs a different kayak that a 5'7" person who weighs 140#....and I have fitted hundreds of guys and gals for kayaks in the nearly 6 years that I worked P/T at Black Creek Outfitters!!
Also, if your budget is $1K, you have plenty of room to cover nearly anything...except the models that use some type of foot powered propulsion.
BTW.....I have approx. 150 kayak fishing trips up to Oak Harbor and live in Neptune Beach so maybe we can take out your new kayak and get her slimed!!
JohnYaksJax
PS: Congrats on your new son and future fishing buddy...in a few years from now!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:41 pm 

Thanks for the help! I’m 6’ 185#. Looking at used on CL looks like my budget is prob higher than needed. I don’t mind paying for comfort or convenience. I won’t be covering a ton of water and will likely stick to the creeks. I also live in Neptune and would love to take you up! Thx again

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:34 pm 

I picked up a used Hobie Outback SUV with mirage drive, very excited to get it wet!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:46 am 

In $1k you can find plenty of good options. Hobie Mirage and Malibu X-Factor are the best i've known so far. In your price range you can find used easily. Try looking on the craigslist for good prices. To know details about these two yaks you can read here. http://www.xgearhub.com/best-sit-on-top-kayak/

Hope it helps

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:53 pm 

Hi Guys,

New to forum, but I have been kayak fishing for over a decade around the state and the advice given here so far has been solid. Can't go wrong with Hobie or Malibu. Dig the Malibu a bit more for the difference in weight and being a little lighter and more maneuverable, however both will get it done!