Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kayak noob
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:35 am 

So I just moved to Jacksonville about 2 months ago and recently bought a fishing kayak and love it. Have had mild success kayak fishing. Was wondering if anyone could give me tips on rigs/ best places to launch. I have been launching a Dutton Island Preserve considering I live near. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Kayak noob
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:12 pm 

Dutton is a great place for easy kayak fishing, launch just kind of sucks if you don't have wheels or a cart. Area is really protected and still has good access at low tides. You can also catch a variety of fish there. Between my Mom and I we have caught Reds, Trout, Flounder, Bluefish and the occasional Jack Crevalle. Jacks we caught were closer to the intercoastal. But in the back areas around in the inside of bends we caught several flounder. Reds I get there are fewer and far between compared to trout.

Baits used for me generally live mullet on lig head and one on popping cork. Artificial anything chartreuse combos and or pink/green.

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com
| 904-256-4985 |

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:57 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I have been back there a few times since I've posted. Have actually only caught Reds and one snook. Thanks for the tips. I'll have to give the mullet a try. Mainly been using live shrimp on a jig head. Hopefull I can land some flounder soon. Have been trying but no luck yet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:37 pm 

Hello Cwalte11 and Welcome to JKF!!! We have all been "noobs" in here at some time, and some of us were quite awhile ago!!! LOL!!!

Glad to see you are having pretty good success at Dutton Island. I like it there, but I have over 150 trips out of Oak Harbor and have taken many noobs there for their first saltwater fishing trip, and for their first catches out of a kayak....
Plus, the Oak Harbor entrance off of A1A is right across the street from B&M Bait & Tackle....which is a great place to buy your bait and tackle, and also to pick their brains about what is going on in that area.

I normally start out fishing 3 rod/reels with 3 different water levels in mind...Surface or barely Sub-surface, mid-depth, and bottom fishing since our "target" fish are active feeding at those levels....Seatrout on or just under the surface, redfish at mid-level or deeper, and flounder on the bottom. So, I fish one rod with a topwater lure or sub-surface lure, and a float rig with the bait/plastic about 2' under it, and a light weight (1/16 to 1/8 oz) jighead on it....since that is where you will find the flounder!!

Gotta run right now, but I can give you more info if you want...PLUS...there are good "how to" "ARTICLES" at the top of this page for different species!!
BTW...CONGRATS on catching a Snook....they are not very plentiful this far north so that is a good catch!!
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:21 pm 

Thanks John for the reply! Just wanted to check back in and thank you for the advice. I checked out the location you suggested and had success. Went out for about 3 hours and caught like 5 reds! Founder still seem to elude me. Mainly been trying to use a jig with a live shrimp but have yet to catch one on any of my fishing trips.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:58 pm 

Cwalte11,

Welcome to Jax! I literally registered to the site today but have been using it as a resource since I moved here a couple of years ago. The contributors here have great advise that I have greatly benefited from. I will offer up a couple of items:

1. My favorite location is Simpson creek. It is a beautiful area and always has great current (except at slack tide of course). You can launch from Kayak Amelia which is a great launch but you can only use it during their open hours. If you want to go out early or come back late you have to drop in from the Simpson Creek overpass about 1/8 of a mile north. It is a horrible launch (muddy, a long haul for your gear, and the current rips through the overpass) but catchers can't be choosers. If you catch the outgoing you can make it to Nassau Sound in about 45 minutes of active paddling. Just be sure to check the tides and plan your trip as it can make for a challenging paddle against the tide. The stretch between the overpass and the Sound offers endless areas to explore and sets up for multiple fishing scenarios (flats for the flood tides, sandy bottom, oyster beds, shallow/deep areas, and deep finger creeks that you can only access via a yak).

2. Concerning rigging:
A. The easiest set up in my opinion is a carolina rig with circle hook using live bait and the lightest egg sinker possible depending on the current. You won't get hung up on hidden oyster beds as easily as a jig head when exploring new areas close to high tide. It also allows you to actively fish and cover an area or let it soak if you are feeling lazy. I typically always have a carolina rig in the water even if I'm actively fishing another line.
B. However, for flounder I think a jig with a soft plastic or live bait is the way to go. If there is a species out there you have to target it is definitely flounder. A slow retrieve along the bottom with the current. Also, you can't set the hook immediately. If you feel a bump let it take the bait prior to setting the hook. I wish I had more patience as I have lost countless flounder due to setting too soon. Also make sure you have a net as they have soft mouths and shake off easy.

Again, welcome to Jax and happy catching. I hope this helps!