Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:17 pm 

Seeking advice and opinions on something here.

I have a RAV4, and an ATAK 140. It isnt the easiest to throw it on the roof of the Yota. I can do it, but I have scratched up the roof and it always takes a little time.

I am highly debating whether to get a Malone roof rack system, or put the trailer hitch on the Yota and find a used jetski or small boat trailer for the ATAK.

What are your thoughts on this one?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:20 pm 

A trailer will make your life so much easier. Plus, the salt water will eat away your car.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:01 am 

I have both, but I still use the roof rack far more often than I do the trailer. The trailer is easier for loading/unloading, but it causes problems with backing up and especially parking. A trailer also usually puts you competing with much bigger boats at the launch and parking.

Down in Florida I use a Toyota 4Runner or a Toyota Sequoia as my kayak hauler. Up in Virginia I use a Toyota RAV4 (or very rarely the Toyota Sequoia). Both of my kayaks as currently rigged are probably pushing 70lbs. My canoe is probably 90lbs as rigged. In Florida I have Malone crossbars and Malone Seawing cradles. I also have a Malone Canoe rack, but I haven't used it yet (I always use the trailer for the heavy canoe). In Virginia I also have Malone crossbars but for the kayak I have there (it has more of a tri-hull) I went with Rhino Rack Nautic Series cradles.

Basically, I make the decision on which to use depending on the health of my back. As long as my back is okay, I'll throw it up on the roof racks every time -- it's just much more convenient.

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:24 pm 

Here's an old post about roof rack loading that may help you. Of course the ATAK is a wide boat and may be more difficult to handle.

topic38609.html

Good luck!

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --