Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:34 am 

Looking to see what people are using. Relocated soon to PC and starting to think about what I may not have for possible tarpon that I currently use in NE for stripers, for large stripers from yak my go too is a 6000 baitrunner on a hvy. 8'6" st. Croix rod. Usually for pitcin / trolling macs. thinking a few sizes under gunned probably?

Thx NHG

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:59 pm 

Hey NH GUY.....does "relocating" mean you are leaving the frozen north and living down here full time?? Hope so....

Do not think that a Baitrunner 6000 (if it is the Shimano version) will not handle most tarpon that you would encounter...and they are great for trolling with the baitrunner secondary drag engaged.
I DO think that your line and leader need to be pretty heavy duty, and since you are in a kayak, you should tire them out after a long tow....LOL!!!

Please let us know how you do!!
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:56 am 

JohnYaksJax wrote:
Hey NH GUY.....does "relocating" mean you are leaving the frozen north and living down here full time?? Hope so....

Do not think that a Baitrunner 6000 (if it is the Shimano version) will not handle most tarpon that you would encounter...and they are great for trolling with the baitrunner secondary drag engaged.
I DO think that your line and leader need to be pretty heavy duty, and since you are in a kayak, you should tire them out after a long tow....LOL!!!

Please let us know how you do!!
JohnYaksJax

Thx John, yes moving here in 2019....had enough of old man winter after a lifetime of it!! Been finding some more info. and yes figured my striper rig could be light for tarpon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:54 pm 

I prefer slightly larger reels for fishing from the surf Abu Garcia 10000 Big Game reels are my go to for sharks and tarpon, but I've used the Penn Battle and Penn fierce 6000 series spinning reels from the beach for both tarpon and sharks spooled with 50 lb braid and 100 lb mono leaders effectively without seeing the spool and although there not the same reels as the bait runners you own they are similar in size and line capacity, I currently use them as backups for the surf and my yak being easier to cast then the bait casters I use and I have the utmost confidence in them, but when I began researching reel size and line capacity for tarpon fishing most anglers are comfortable with a line capacity of 300 yards of between 40 and 65 lb braid/mono.

Last edited by Fishinguy21 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:47 pm 

Last mullet run I used a 30lb mono mainline / 50lbs flouro leader on an Abu 7000 level wind and 7 ft heavy action rod from shore.

Was fun for about 10 minutes then it was more like a steel cage death match for about an hour

So that's undergunned but I landed it :) estimated weight 100lbs

Watching Florida Sportsman youtube, they use 8000 series spinning reel and 80lb braid with two guys and a nice boat and still have a hard time

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:59 am 

jmdesignz2 wrote:
Last mullet run I used a 30lb mono mainline / 50lbs flouro leader on an Abu 7000 level wind and 7 ft heavy action rod from shore.

Was fun for about 10 minutes then it was more like a steel cage death match for about an hour

So that's undergunned but I landed it :) estimated weight 100lbs

Watching Florida Sportsman youtube, they use 8000 series spinning reel and 80lb braid with two guys and a nice boat and still have a hard time

Thx I'll take a look, thinking 8000 reel is best choice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:59 am 

Hey NH Guy,

I moved here last October from Boston. If you are like me, you will feel like a piece of your soul is missing with no striper but I have learned to LOVE fishing for reds and flounder.

I have the basically the same setup (striper tube trolling rig) with the intention of getting in to Tarpon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:21 pm 

lasemase72 wrote:
Hey NH Guy,

I moved here last October from Boston. If you are like me, you will feel like a piece of your soul is missing with no striper but I have learned to LOVE fishing for reds and flounder.

I have the basically the same setup (striper tube trolling rig) with the intention of getting in to Tarpon.

We built our place almost 5 years ago and have been fishing a lot of spots in my area w/ PA12 over that time, I will miss stripers but so much fishing in NE Fla. I sure I'll get by.....lol Zoom time on Cape Cod now w/ Albies I will miss the easy access from yak to them more I think along w/ screaming drags.......Can always got back to get my fix still another year or two before we make move, so will enjoy my 3 weeks a year in FLA and look forward to no snow and year round open water fishing soon enough. Hope everyone making it through post Irma. Got lucky in PC and development w/ minor damage. Hope St. John river drops quickly...

NHG