Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:11 pm 

To expand my circle of friends here in the Lake Country I started hosting the “Whosoever will Men’s Breakfast” at the Milledgeville IHOP every Monday morning beginning at 8:00AM. We have been meeting regularly now for some time and the group has exceeded all expectations! Today we had ten in attendance and the highlight was newcomer and retired football coach, Mr. C.B. Cornett. It was great to get to know C.B. a little better and to find out that he loves to fish was just a bonus!

As if breakfast wasn’t enough it was soon time for dessert. I received a tip from a friend (61BelAir) on the GON fishing forum this week saying that he had seen some Bars of Gold lurking under the bridge that crosses the Oconee River near downtown Milledgeville. Knowing that our IHOP was less than 5 miles from this venue I proceeded that way right after breakfast. The venue is beautiful but I soon saw that there were only two ways to reach my destination today. Climb down the riprap or walk down the boat ramp and hike the bank upstream to the bridge. I chose the latter.

Before we go any farther please disregard the dates/times on my pictures. I used a different camera today and I was unfamiliar with the settings.

Since I was hiking I travelled light today and fished a canned corn/worm combo for bait, I lost a couple of rigs so I began using a small hook and a river rock for a sinker.

I was fishing one pole for Bream when I happened to look over at my Carp rod. Fish on!!! He got in the limbs for a bit but I finally managed to get him to the net.

After a photo session this Golden Ghost weighing somewhere between 4-49 lbs was released quietly and gently back into the clear Oconee River depths.

I’ve decided that next time I will take my smaller canoe and put in at the ramp and paddle upstream to the bridge and maybe beyond! That way I don’t have to carry anything plus I can cruise back with the current.

You may not be a fan of Carp fishing and that is quite OK with me. All I know is that today was wonderful because I had Grits for Breakfast and Carp for dessert!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:08 pm 

Love your stories! As a kid, my family would visit my grandparents in Asheville each summer. They would take my brother and I to a nearby pond that offered carp fishing where you'd pay a small entry fee for the day and they would "buy back" the carp you caught by the pound. They provided burlap bags to keep them alive in the water! We got pretty good at it and always left there at the end of day with a few bucks in our pocket! Good times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Native Slayer Propel 13 (Copperhead)
Native Slayer 12 (Hidden Oak)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:38 pm 

Fish & Paddle wrote:
Love your stories! As a kid, my family would visit my grandparents in Asheville each summer. They would take my brother and I to a nearby pond that offered carp fishing where you'd pay a small entry fee for the day and they would "buy back" the carp you caught by the pound. They provided burlap bags to keep them alive in the water! We got pretty good at it and always left there at the end of day with a few bucks in our pocket! Good times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reading and kind words. River Carp are strong!!