Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:33 pm 

Today I had my first outing on the Kayak at Guana Dam/Lake. I launched out of the boat ram this morning, and headed west to the shore and began trolling using shrimp (couldnt get any mudminnows for bait) and throwing a MR17 as I drifted. I had a few bites on shrimp, with only one small redfish and quite a few good size croakers brought to the boat before I ran out of shrimp.

The MR17 I was throwing landed me 1 small croaker and 1 small trout as well. I had a few more hits, but couldnt keep them on long enough to get them to the boat.

I was zig zagging the west shore and back into the middle of the lake. While I did catch fish, which was better then none at all, I didnt catch anything bragging size or worth taking home to the table.

When I came in around 11 I saw quite a few people at the dam catching some keeper reds..

Was shrimp the right bait to use? I was fishing it on a 1/8 oz jig head.

Should I have covered more water? Paddled further in?

Something I thought of was maybe filleting the small croaker I caught and using it as bait?

I didnt see, or at least to me, any fish activity near the surface besides the mullet jumping anywhere. Is this normal?

Lastly, what can I do the next time I head out to maybe have better luck?

Thanks all

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:56 pm 

All depends on your boat and bait presentation.

On the North end in Guana Lake - What's worked best for me is to spot the schools of mullet and work the outside and inside of them. The large predators will come over to feed on them when they get hungry.

The spotted green/silver and green silver pattern mirodine has worked best for me. But, I've never "slayed" them at Guana.
Since the ICW is closer to me, I have been mainly fishing there with more time = more fish.

I have had the most luck on the south end- the river side. Using a Z-man shad and Mirodine. My friend jumped a mid size tarpon at high tide a couple years ago about 25 yards away from the dam. It hit a tiny blue/white shad.

I've not tried any bait around there. However, in the fall/winter I've seen some large reds taken in the spill way area on live shrimp/corks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:31 pm 

I have fished the Guana lake area quite a bit. I think the schools of trout and reds follow the mullet around and so there is never one "best" spot. That said, I have had good luck with trout on the west side where it is slightly deeper. Typically, I will slowly troll a Storm 3" swimbait - pearl or mullet - along the west / middle until I get hit, then stop and throw to them. Those Storm swim baits are trout candy. Reds will hit them hard, too. I also will troll a spoon - gold or white - for redfish. Love the Aqua Dream spoons. I caught my biggest trout on a gold spoon and the reds are known to hit a spoon.

Attachments:
File comment: 23" Trout on a 3" Storm swimbait...
23inch Trout w-swimbait-w2.jpg
23inch Trout w-swimbait-w2.jpg [ 102.73 KiB | Viewed 1003 times ]

"I fear that when I am gone, my wife will sell my kayak fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it..."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:59 am 

next time use the croaker as cut bait , works well . Same with Ladyfish , soak it under a popping rig

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:27 pm 

The dam was probably running(letting water in) which is why they were catching at the dam. That said when the dam runs it can throw the bite off in the south end of the lake. Also don't be scared to sight fish the shallow east side of the lake. You will see aggressive feeding fish throwing wakes and "blowing up" on bait. Also soak baits on those flats.

"Wow! What a ride!"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:38 am 

rangerv88 wrote:

Was shrimp the right bait to use? I was fishing it on a 1/8 oz jig head.

Should I have covered more water? Paddled further in?

Something I thought of was maybe filleting the small croaker I caught and using it as bait?

I didnt see, or at least to me, any fish activity near the surface besides the mullet jumping anywhere. Is this normal?

Lastly, what can I do the next time I head out to maybe have better luck?

Thanks all

here is the low down. any bait will produce hits whether dead or alive. When you are paddling along and see large swirls and fish vacating the area those are big mullet. They school together. Mixed in with them are smaller mullet and in the area usually are large predators lurking. When they say look for the bait this is what they are talking about in guana

While trolling around with shrimp be leery of the speed at which you troll. Slower is better than faster but vary it up from time to time. While trolling look for what i call oil slicks. You will see them and know what i am talking about. That is discharged oil from a bait pod that was threatened by predators. This area is a good area to throw popping cork with mud, shrimp or artie underneath.

last but not least the more ground you cover the better your chances are of finding a monster. that being said you don't have to go a long distance to cover a lot of ground. I fish out there 5+ times a month during this time of the year and throughout the summer in the evenings and on weekends. many times i will stay within half mile of the dam but i will cover every single inch from the east bank to the west bank

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:00 am 

Thanks for all the insight and tips everyone. Ill be giving th Lake another shot Monday AM and seeing how I do.