Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:03 am 

Got out around 6pm to catch the high-mid outgoing tide. Had one pole with a Carolina rig and live mullet and one with a smaller hook and dead shrimp. Few casts and got a big hit on the live mullet. After a fun fight I got it to the side of the kayak, into the net and finally into the kayak. A 23inch red drum. My first keeper in the kayak and my biggest drum in Florida so far! Had a same size fish break my line 2 times before, a little adjustment of my drag and changing from a clinch knot to uni knots and problem solved, finally landed it. The rest of the night was slow caught a couple small croaker on the shrimp. Definitely a great few hours on the water though. Good times!

Last edited by HopkinsWilderness100 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:22 am 

Congrats on catching the nice red! :thumbleft: I have fished Dutton several times and caught some nice reds there. My best fish from there were a 24 inch flounder and a 26 inch red.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Ambassador
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:25 am 

SRAces wrote:
Congrats on catching the nice red! :thumbleft: I have fished Dutton several times and caught some nice reds there. My best fish from there were a 24 inch flounder and a 26 inch red.

Thanks! I caught a nice size flounder a few weeks ago there but as i was putting in the stringer it flopped back into the water! Luckily I've learned a few things about kayak fishing since then and i finally purchased a net right before i caught that drum. Do you happen to remember what you were using to catch that big flounder? I caught mine on a root beer colored Berkeley 3inch gulp shrimp, but i think i lucked out, because it hasn't worked since.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:55 am 

Hello HopkinsWilderness100 and Welcome to JKF!!
Certainly a chunk of a redfish and looking forward to you getting one even bigger....you will have to change your avatar then!! :cheers:

I only fish Dutton occasionally, but I have probably 180 trips up at Oak Harbor, so I know that area pretty well!! Try using some light weight jigheads (1/8 or 1/16 oz) and mudminnows.....the flounder love them, and will also eat finger mullet....Good Luck!!
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:57 pm 

HopkinsWilderness100 wrote:
SRAces wrote:

Thanks! I caught a nice size flounder a few weeks ago there but as i was putting in the stringer it flopped back into the water! Luckily I've learned a few things about kayak fishing since then and i finally purchased a net right before i caught that drum. Do you happen to remember what you were using to catch that big flounder? I caught mine on a root beer colored Berkeley 3inch gulp shrimp, but i think i lucked out, because it hasn't worked since.

The flounder was caught using a Gulp swimming mullet in Chartreuse color on a 1/8 ounce jig head. Looking back at the picture it was 22.75 inches and not 24 inches.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Ambassador
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:59 pm 

You don't look happy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:41 am 

Congratulations on the nice red! The smile on your face tells it all!!!

Redbeard