Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:46 am 

Started out slow but ended up a Good day on the water yesterday
About noon - clounds were thick and slightly over cast

Got out about mid falling tide and searched the channels near mud flats / grass edges and oyster beds. Using only artificials- small plastic shad, DOA shrimp and Mirrodine
Tons of mullet swirling around and shrimp every now and then.

One tiny flounder but basically No luck ... the tide started to swell and come in which also coincided with a storm front
I was ready to head back but had a plan in mind for the incoming tide

I Positioned myself into the tide at an intersection of channels off a mud flat and a deep drop

Saw bait being crashed on the bank and cast - BAM - 16 inch flounder, netted and into the cooler
as I was netting and unhooking #1 more bait was being crashed just beyond where the first was hooked - I cast back beyond that last spot and BAM - another twin meaty flounder was taking some drag. WOW after a few tense moments flounder #2 was in the cooler

Both had inhaled the shad but were only lightly hooked - if I had horsed them, the tiny hook would've pulled

The bait was really battered by now - but I could not resist a few more casts hoping for flounder #3
Tried a couple more casts around the near bank and no takers. Then - this time towards the opposite bank

bump - bump BAM- the shad hooked up and the fish headed for deeper water
not super fast so it did not feel like a red so I thought I had another flounder
I had tightened the drag a tiny bit more after flounder #1 and this was not taking drag....yet
I countered the movement and kept the rod low - it was heavy and strong. I got it to surface and saw huge bulging eyes and a very large mouth - Looked very much like a Huge LargeMouth bass!
Then, it charged the kayak bow and went underneath it - I kept the pressure on and got it back out. I saw the spots on the flank - Huge Trout!

One hand on the rod I reached back and got the landing net - it was a nail biting few moments as it ran back and forth but I managed to guide it into the net

Tried to revive it but it seemed to weak so invited it home for dinner

About 26.5 Inches

Very Heavy fish - massive head! Has a bit of under bite and very large eyes

with it's little friends the Flounder Twins...the filet knife is about 15 inches

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:32 pm 

Awesome report. Only question is are you wearing a jacket? I almost died of heat stroke today.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:20 pm 

I pulled on that jacket when the storm was approaching that Saturday. Did not take it off until after the pics.
It was a bit cooler due to the front coming in. Today I definitely would not be wearing that jacket.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:29 pm 

Congrats... Great fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowrance
Boondock