Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:56 am 

Hey yakers! Im lookin for someone to chase tarpon in the surf with as the mullet run approaches later in the month/early september, I've launched in the surf multiple times but with the task at hand of subduing a big tarpon and or shark I don't want to end up on the 6 o,clock news lol. I live in Jax beach and was planning on checking out the multiple beach access points from Atlantic to the pier until we find tarpon blowing up, but if there's someone in St. Augustine that wants to meet up I can drive down to Vilano and we can run the beach there.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:38 am 

I have never done it, but I am interested. I live in St Augustine and fish around Vilano, mostly the creeks and Icw. I have the gear for it, just not the knowledge.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:02 am 

Im down for some BTB. I live down the road from Huguenot Beach and launch north of the north jetties. It gets about 40' in some spots about 250 yards.

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Polar Bear Coolers | Cajun Custom Rods | 904-256-4985 | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:20 am 

Badgeryakker wrote:
I have never done it, but I am interested. I live in St Augustine and fish around Vilano, mostly the creeks and Icw. I have the gear for it, just not the knowledge.

I,ll keep an eye on the surf and when I notice things starting to heat up ill send you a Direct Message, we can probably launch at the surf entrance across from north beach and just fish from there down to the Jetties Ive seen tarpon all through that stretch.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:43 am 

There's usually Tarpon at high tide south of the dam at Guana. We jumped one last year just before the mullet run...

What do you guys run different to go BTB on your kayaks?

Would love to see pics of your setups.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:48 am 

PS - here's a pic of a tarpon caught in the surf last mullet run about mid sept....from shore

was released in very good condition

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:49 am 

SuaSponte wrote:
Im down for some BTB. I live down the road from Huguenot Beach and launch north of the north jetties. It gets about 40' in some spots about 250 yards.

I've never fished Huguenot from a Yak but sounds good, I'll send you a Direct message as the schools start moving :reeling:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:02 am 

I've heard reports of tarpon down there, I'm just looking to chase them when they're blastin mullet in the surf.

I plan on bringing 2 rods compared to the 4 I usually use inshore and a smaller more waterproof tackle bag plus cell phone and PFD, I just ordered a more streamlined bait bucket for the 6-8 inch mullet I plan on soaking for the tarpon as well, I'll try to get a pic together though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:04 pm 

What tackle? 80lb braid?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:30 pm 

I have 2 Abu Garcia 10000I,s loaded with 50 lb braid I'll use 100 lb leaders to 8/0 circle hooks with mullet under corks and free lined as I drift I've caught several sharks in the surf with these outfits and I'm sure they'll be sufficient. I've also got a large Penn spinning rod loaded with 65 lb braid ill keep in the truck as a backup.

Awesome fish btw I caught one a little bit smaller then that to the left of the Vilano Jetties 2 years ago fishing for sharks I didn't get to measure him I was alone, I thought for sure he was going to get out past the jetties and head for the inlet but I managed to land him.