Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:16 pm 

Met Ed, Buddy and Dave at Yates Creek yesterday morning. We had a beautiful sunrise and conditions. Supposedly the lunar fish activity was listed as a "high period of the year" time. The fishing started off slow. Go figure! After about an hour a formidable thunderstorm started developing to the southeast past Keaton Beach. When the lightning bolts started appearing, we all headed back to the trucks at the launch. The wind picked up with the thunderhead just outside the creek. After looking at radar on the phones and seeing it wasn't going to be an issue, we all headed back out.

I managed to land 10 trout with the largest being 17 inches. I did have 2 mid 20s trout that I got right to the yak before the lure decided to come unbuttoned. Ed got to witness the frustration on the second trout. :D I also managed 2 lizard fish (one that thought the lure was his size (below) and 1 ladyfish. No catfish!!!

I ended up fishing the same area as Ed most of the day. Ed caught 5 trout and 2 black sea bass as well as a ladyfish or two. As we were heading in for the day I decided to follow Ed through an area where I wouldn't run out of water so I didn't have to flutter pedal. I was dragging an Unfair lures Rip-N-Slash behind me in about 2 feet of water when the rod jerked back. With only a 15 pound leader I was worried about a breakoff. After a 5 minute fight I landed the nice red below. Made my day!

Buddy got the catch of the day with this huge red. he wasn't sure of the exact length as the picture doesn't show the whole measuring board. He's in a kayak that is 29 inches wide. I'm calling it a 36 inch red. Just an awesome catch that he said took 15 minutes to land!

Not sure what Dave caught besides his red, but he also managed a nice red that pushed 25 inches. It was the first time to Yates Creek for my three fishing friends. They all indicated there would definitely be return trips in the future!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Ambassador
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:36 pm 

Good day good report.

Fishing IN Yates Creek or outside the creek's mouth? If outside did you head west out into the Gulf, south along the shoreline toward Keaton Beach or north along the shoreline toward Spring Warrior Creek? Any idea of the water temp? Caught fish at what depth? About how much water (miles) did you cover paddling/peddling? See any/many sharks?

Last edited by SlamSeeker on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:38 pm 

Pretty cool drone tour of Yates Creek area on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxSOCXUGgsk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:47 pm 

Steve....another great post and pix of some super redfish that your and your buds caught!!!

Know you only fish lures and arties, so wonder why you catch catfish and needlefish and lizardfish and other "trash fish" species?? Guess get fooled just like game fish do..and that lizardfish must have been REALLY ambitious...LOL!!!
Thx for sharing with us!!
John
PS: Smart move to run for cover (your truck) when that storm rolled in!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:01 am 

SlamSeeker wrote:
Pretty cool drone tour of Yates Creek area on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxSOCXUGgsk

That is some great drone footage of the area. Thanks for sharing!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Ambassador
Ziptailz Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:45 am 

Not many people know about that little hole in the wall one of my favorite places!! got to get over their this fall top water I hope!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:18 am 

SlamSeeker wrote:
Good day good report.

Fishing in Yates Creek or outside the creek's mouth? If outside did you head west out into the Gulf, south along the shoreline toward Keaton Beach or north along the shoreline toward Spring Warrior Creek? Any idea of the water temp? Caught fish at what depth? About how much water (miles) did you cover paddling/peddling? See any/many sharks?

That was a good Youtube video of Yates Creek. To answer your fishing related questions, I usually don't venture too far south past that straight creek channel where the video started when fishing close to shore. I have ventured into that first big creek just north of Yates. It can get real shallow at the entrance during low tide. You have to go around the small island and enter it north of the island.

The water temp in the Gulf has been 85-86 degrees lately. Saw it hit 88 degrees a few times so far this summer. I normally cover 6-7 miles on average each trip. The key for me fishing the Gulf is to fish oyster bars during a falling or incoming tide for reads and trout. The rocky bottoms with less grass tend to hold more reds than trout. The trout are found more in the grass beds (holes in grass beds are good ambush spots).

The reds we caught were mostly in about 2 feet of water near oyster bars. Usually I try to fish for trout in 3-4 feet of water depending on the height of the grass. Sometimes we do venture out away from shore to find the depth we need and that can be a mile out to find that 3-4 foot range.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Ambassador
Ziptailz Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:19 am 

twitch twitch pause wrote:
Not many people know about that little hole in the wall one of my favorite places!! got to get over their this fall top water I hope!!!

You forum name describes the way I fish the most...lol!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Ambassador
Ziptailz Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:29 am 

Thanks SRAces! Good info!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:39 am 

Gulf redfish are notorious for not hitting a moving bait!! so the pause is more important then the twitch especially on top water!!!! High tide in Hagen's cove way back!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:39 pm 

twitch twitch pause wrote:
Gulf redfish are notorious for not hitting a moving bait!! so the pause is more important then the twitch especially on top water!!!! High tide in Hagen's cove way back!!!

Have yet to visit Hagen's Cove. It is on the list. I fish from Alligator point on the west side to Shired Island on the east side. I think there are 2-3 launches left that I have to try. Some I have written off due to a lot of airboat use/traffic.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Ambassador
Ziptailz Ambassador