Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:11 am 

I will soon be camping on one of the spoil islands near the southwest part of the lagoon with my daughter and her friend for a few days soon. We will be well prepared for bugs, but I want to eliminate doubt about gators, because we will probably do a little swimming when it gets too hot. I'm not overly worried, but concerned enough since my daughter will be with me.

I've never heard of anyone having any issues with the lizards, but the posts I read are usually about winter trips..

Does anyone have any info on this? Word from the locals would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:08 am 

A few years ago, you may want to search for it a guy posted on here a pic of his foot a gator almost took his foot off down there. He was fishing from a yak dangling his feet that's all I know about that place,
JR :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:46 pm 

Hello LBOIV001 and thx for posting in here about the Mosquito Lagoon area...my very favorite place to PRIMITIVE camp and fish....it is really "roughing it"!!!

I have camped down there 5 times at the Canaveral National Seashore just south of New Smyrna Beach and it is awesome!! This year I helped 3 guys from the NCAngler website get ready for the experience and joined them for a couple of days....back on February 10-12th, and we had a great time!! They were first timers, but they all were experienced campers and took the gear, food, and water they needed, and we all caught fish...and there were VERY FEW mosquitos, and on my FIVE trips there to camp and fish, I have NOT seen or heard of an alligator incident down there!!!

I just grabbed some posts and PIX from the NC website and also the information on reservations and details, and here they are:
Dennis and H2Ohhh posted this on NCAngler: http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/ ... ito-Lagoon

Reservations and Info on Camping on an Island:
https://www.recreation.gov/permits/Cana ... rkId=72791

Getting a good map of the area is very important and I would suggest the TOP SPOT "Mosquito Lagoon Area" map...it is #N219...and they are VERY informative and are waterproof too!! Got mine at Strike Zone here in JAX.
Getting lost in all the "spoil" and natural islands is very easy to do...DAMHIKT!!!

Pop me a Private Message with you phone # and I can send you some of my pix from this trip..if you want to see more pix. The islands are all "very primitive" and all you get is a picnic table and a fire ring and grate....and since you will be with two young ladies, the NC guys devised a toilet instead of a "cat hole" that we always used since my 4 previous trips did not include any females...LOL!!!

My trips were always in cooler weather, so the bugs and mosquitos were not a problem.
Also, none of us ever spotted an alligator on our 5 trips...approx. 20 days and 4-6 people...or even any tracks made by them. Raccoons are the biggest problem and they are quite good at getting into your coolers or tents, so take some para-cord to hoist your garbage bags onto a tree limb off the ground, and keep your tents and coolers zipped and secured with ropes or bungees.....
Enuff for now....let me know if you want more, and where you are planning to stay...guessing it is the same place!!
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:03 pm 

I appreciate the input so far.

I did camp on Middle Dredge and shipyard island(s) on two separate occasions, both during the cooler months, and I have spent a day trip paddling there last summer on a windy day.....bug issue was very slight. What I haven't done....and plan to do soon...is stay overnight in the peak of summer when the skeeters are most active.

I am counting on it being windy like it was during the day last summer, so the bugs will not be so bad.

I suppose swimming during the day is not a problem if I'm not catching fish or dragging a stringer of fish behind the boat, right? Maybe a night swim might not be a good idea, but then again, maybe I'm just a little too paranoid. If my daughter weren't with me it might be different...I'm goofy that way!