Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guana river part 2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:16 pm 

Had such a great time Monday couldn't wait to go back.. We were hoping to see another tarpon but got to see a large gator instead.

Caught a couple reds and small trout. Everything caught on dark color baits today and not one hit on bright colors.

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowrance
Boondock

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Guana river part 2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:37 am 

The yellow triangle of land below, bordering the 8-mile Guana River, is "the missing piece" of the preserve. Surrounded almost entirely by Guana Wildlife Management Area, it's been designated "conservation" since 2000. Our goal is to preserve this important wildlife habitat and to protect the delicate ecosystem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:58 pm 

Tarpon???
In Guana River?
Yeeowwssa!

How big, you think ?
If there's one, there's gotta be more.

Nice red :thumbright: & trout. :thumbleft:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:04 pm 

Is this "Yellow Part" you're referring to ...
what the recent development try that ...
(trying to remember)...
"Gate Petroleum" was now trying to develop? (after a decades-long, tacit agreement?)

I thought that was at the North End of Guana (?)

Or is development pressure coming at both ?

"Charming", either way. :angryfire:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:00 pm 

Hey TDK....Please check out the posted date of this post....LOL!!! July 13, 2017!!!

Tarpon are basically a Warm Weather and Water fish up here in JAX, so you probably need to wait a couple of months for them.
JYJ
PS: I have seen (and heard!!) tarpon jump and splash down at the Guana River below the dam....the first one jumped about 40 feet behind my kayak and it sounded like someone dropped a big appliance into the water...spooked me!! It jumped several more times, and I followed it around for a long while.

I finally got a hookup with a big fish that towed me up about 1/2 way to the dam...turned out to be a 4 1/2' Scalloped Hammerhead shark!! I was very excited, but that turned to disappointment when I finally saw what it was...DANG!!
Went back to that area several times that summer, but never jumped one...DANG!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:18 pm 

JYJ:
Oopsie. :roll:

Appreciate your pointing that out; & relating your tarpon story.
Tarpon in there is kind of blowing my mind.
And hammerhead, too? Geez.
I'm not quite ready for oceanside yet, sharks being one of the reasons, so that kind of gets me spooked.
(not due catching, per se ... but the release).

Questions, please:
I've been out to what I believe is Tolomato Point, several times, albeit via biking w my kids through Guana trails (yellow? orange? blue?- I forget). There's a sign there, as well as a picnic table, at that point in the ICW.
Lots of fiddler crabs... and my first experience with quicksand/mud.

Does the Guana River dump out just below this point? How far the distance from the dam?
Does it get any deeper, per se, at the mouth or cut, than up at the Dam, where I know it drains extremely rapidly?
Am wondering if I get stuck, better to backtrack, stay at the mouth, pour on the bug spray, and just wait for the tide to float me back in? --- Or not?

Gators: I've seen the posted signs @ the dam, on both sides (?)- figured they would be more prone in the lake, nearest the woods. Yet I've never seen one there, save deep in the woods/swamp. Seems to me they'd be more scared of humans.

Appreciate your knowledge! thx.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:58 pm 

Hey TDK....glad to be of assistance and hope your are picking up some tips...?? :scratch:

I saw &/or heard tarpon chasing baitfish on 4 different trips down the River from the dam. I think that 3 of those may have been the same fish since the sightings were very close together one summer. The water flow into Guana River and into the Lake when they open the gates/wickets really comes from the ocean via the St. Augustine Inlet...and NOT from Mayport, so the flow is quicker from down there. The outgoing tides from the Dam South would take you 1-2 hours to float with the tide, and the same time once the tide started incoming would take about the same for the Incoming Tide taking you back to the Dam.....easy, peasy!!!

Also, the last time we had a very cold winter and a big fish kill (2010?) I was fishing in the Lake and saw a BIG fish floating belly up and went over to see what it was...and it was a 33" SNOOK....in the Lake...and it would have been longer but the blue crabs had eaten several inches off its tail...Honest!!

BTW...if you catch a decent sized shark anywhere, and do not feel like handling it, cut the line close to the hook and do not handle it...the hook will rust off pretty quickly in saltwater.

Guana Lake Has Gators!!! LOTS of Gators!!
(1) NEVER put your catches on a stringer...it attracts them and they could tip you over.
(2) If you see a female on her nest and watching her eggs...leave her alone and go around her at a WIDE distance!! I did not see one once and she hissed at me and I left her alone..she was probably 7-8' long!!
(3) I had a small 5' juvie stop right in front of me and "bow up" on me..making it look bigger....not a problem but a good lesson.

Guana River Has Them Also...altho I have never seen one down there, but I staked out beside a mud bank once and happened to look up on the bank and saw "gator tracks"...and each print was bigger than the span of my hand...and I can palm a basketball!!! :shock:
Just pay attention and give any gators a Wide Berth!!!
More later....JYJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:51 pm 

John doesn't mind the gators at Guana. He just keeps on fishing.

Attachments:
Guana Lake %2808-16-09%29 JYJ and a Gator.jpg
Guana Lake %2808-16-09%29 JYJ and a Gator.jpg [ 79.58 KiB | Viewed 1191 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:18 am 

Mudfish....You are amazing finding that old picture and posting it for me!!
Thanks for showing everyone that "fairly small" gator "Bowing up" on me just north of the Guana Dam!!! (my comment #3 in my previous post was exactly about that moment!!!)
Thanks buddy!!....JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:28 pm 

JYJ:

Just got this. My settings must've changed somehow.
Thx for the tips.

So it would appear that "Max Stuck Time" is approx 3 hours if I do a real bonehead maneuver and have to play in the mud.

Yeah, I'm with you with that shark advice. I recently chickened out and got myself a fish "lip gripper", having noticed
some little choppers on local flounder and seatrout where I would normally put my little fingers.
So if: "The Grip don't Fit, We Just Split". :joker:

Guana Gators:
I've not seen one in there yet, just know they're a PIA.
I think I'll add a small baseball bat, in case one wants to surface on me and play "hardball."

Best,

TdK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:16 pm 

Yeah a good rule of thumb for salt water fish is .....just dont put your fingers in any of their mouths till you know the few that you can do that with. Hell half of the bait has teeth too LOL. AS for the sharks, just like was mentioned just cut the line as close as you can safely and send them on. They will be fine and you will have all your digits intact.