Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: St. Aug creeks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:21 pm 

Finally, I have something to post on from my kayak. I been catching nothing but catfish and blues from my new yak. I fished the morning outgoing tide. Using spinning gear, live mullet on bobber (no takers) and 1/8 weight w/ #2 size hook w/ 18" flouro leader. Lots of mullet in the creeks. Should have had 2 flounder, but ended up w/ one. Here a catch/cook vid:
https://youtu.be/VUtwBPlYdtk

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: St. Aug creeks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:19 am 

Hello adobofishing, and Welcome to JKF!!!

I really enjoyed you videos of catching and cleaning Flounder and then cooking them....Very good job on the videos!!
Thx....JYJ
PS: I also watched a few of your YouTube videos and you certainly know how to clean and cook various species like those Blue Runner...Thx for sharing!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:25 pm 

JohnYaksJax wrote:
Hello adobofishing, and Welcome to JKF!!!

I really enjoyed you videos of catching and cleaning Flounder and then cooking them....Very good job on the videos!!
Thx....JYJ
PS: I also watched a few of your YouTube videos and you certainly know how to clean and cook various species like those Blue Runner...Thx for sharing!!

Thanks JohnsYaksJax! Appreciate the positive comment!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:56 pm 

Fished St Aug creeks yesterday on falling tide as well, caught 3 flounder, 12, 13, 14 inches and a short mango. 1/4 oz red jig head with a DOA paddle tail. had a 1/8 jig on most of the day, went heavier and start catching fish, could have been the tide.

The flounder were fun, but I would like to get on a trout bite, if anyone has any suggestions

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:36 pm 

Hey Badger.....Think you solved that dilemma yourself...or...maybe caused it....LOL!!

Basically, if you think of the "water column" you are fishing, you can fish the surface, sub-surface, and bottom. Many of us fish in 2-6' of water often so those levels are NOT very clearly defined.
You caught those flounder by going back to heavier 1/4 OZ jigheads, so you were fishing the "bottom level".....and you went to the lighter weight jighead and did not do well, so.....you were bottom fishing for flatties.

Trout are basically in the upper 1/3 water level, redfish in the middle 1/3, and flounder on the bottom....and your experience pretty much backs that up.....
Dunno how many rods/reels that you carry, but I always start with a topwater/shallow running (18-24") lure, and a float rig that has a 1/16 oz jighead to keep the bait/lure from being on the surface, and of course a bottom rig...with a 1/8 oz jighead...or heavier if there is deeper water of swift current....so....I have the Three Zones covered, and then switch to whatever is working on the other 1 or 2 rods!!!
Give it a shot...LOL.....JYJ

Last edited by JohnYaksJax on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:41 pm 

Badgeryakker wrote:
Fished St Aug creeks yesterday on falling tide as well, caught 3 flounder, 12, 13, 14 inches and a short mango. 1/4 oz red jig head with a DOA paddle tail. had a 1/8 jig on most of the day, went heavier and start catching fish, could have been the tide.

The flounder were fun, but I would like to get on a trout bite, if anyone has any suggestions

Go night fishing to fish dock lights. If you're interested in I'll go w/ you. Always smart to go w/ a buddy especially at night.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:19 am 

I would be up for some night fishing. I think I need some navigation lights? Anybody have any thoughts on where I can purchase some kayak lights? Anything else I might need for night fishing?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:31 am 

You only need a white light on a kayak. Probably a head lamp and maybe some sort of general light.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:18 am 

Jwray is correct - no navigation lights needed, in fact they are discouraged. If you display the typical nav lights, expect anyone who sees them to think you are a vessel, and will behave like one.

The important thing is to light your boat to BE SEEN. I put a flashlight inside the hull of my orange kayak and look like a plastic pumpkin on Halloween. And I also use a white all around on a pvc pipe in a rod holder. And wear a headlamp to see what I'm doing.

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:43 pm 

The minimum is a headlight, but I don't like that. Other vessels will not be able to see you from the back, only if you are facing them. I recommend purchasing a white LED portable boat light that is visible 360 degrees (just my 2 cents). I got one from Walmart for under $20. I have a boat and it is hard to see kayakers at night.