Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to the Kayak stuff
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:47 pm 

Hey everyone, first time poster here. I am a graduate student from Tenn that is working here for the summer. Been fly fishing all my life never done any salt before now. Been fishing the north end of little talbot island with just a grey clouser and have actually done pretty decent with the trout and alotta black drum.
I recently have lucked into a kayak and would love to try it out in the marsh and creeks for some reds hopefully. Does anyone have any recommendations for spots to go to for a noobie, or what tides have been best, or fly recommendations lol? Do I need an anchor to fish in the marsh? Or even better yet if anyone is willing I would love to meet up this weekend or something for some fishing.
Any and all help/tips would be much appreciated!!!!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:54 am 

3wt wrote:
Hey everyone, first time poster here. I am a graduate student from Tenn that is working here for the summer. Been fly fishing all my life never done any salt before now. Been fishing the north end of little talbot island with just a grey clouser and have actually done pretty decent with the trout and alotta black drum.
I recently have lucked into a kayak and would love to try it out in the marsh and creeks for some reds hopefully. Does anyone have any recommendations for spots to go to for a noobie, or what tides have been best, or fly recommendations lol? Do I need an anchor to fish in the marsh? Or even better yet if anyone is willing I would love to meet up this weekend or something for some fishing.

Hey there and welcome, I will I could be of more help but wanted to at least chime in. Use the search function on the site and look for info on Simpson Creek. you can launch right off of Hecksher jut north of little Talbot. Tides are definitely something to contend with you. try and get out 2 hours before low tide and plan on returning not until 2 hours after low. If you paddle east you will head towards Nassau sound. West takes you out to Ft George inlet. Also some good spots to paddle out to at low tide at Hugenout to get out and do some sight casting.

I need to get out and fly fish more myself. If I can get some time in the next few weeks Id be happy to meet up. head to St George Island this Thursday through Monday

welcome and good luck!

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:03 pm 

Hugh G. Rod wrote:
3wt wrote:

Hey there and welcome, I will I could be of more help but wanted to at least chime in. Use the search function on the site and look for info on Simpson Creek. you can launch right off of Hecksher jut north of little Talbot. Tides are definitely something to contend with you. try and get out 2 hours before low tide and plan on returning not until 2 hours after low. If you paddle east you will head towards Nassau sound. West takes you out to Ft George inlet. Also some good spots to paddle out to at low tide at Hugenout to get out and do some sight casting.

I need to get out and fly fish more myself. If I can get some time in the next few weeks Id be happy to meet up. head to St George Island this Thursday through Monday

welcome and good luck!

Michael

Thanks much for the response. Yeah I have been reading alot about the different spots on the site just hard to know how recent that info is and or how accurate it may still be. I have been reading what reports have been posted recently as well. After reading everything I was actually planning on simpsons creek like you suggested just again I know there is only so much to be learned by reading old reports and what not.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:56 am 

Try Clapboard Creek. Plenty of parking, easy to launch, not far to paddle to good fishing. You can paddle up and to the right or go left into Little Clapboard and over towards Browns. Look at Google Maps Satellite View to see the maze of creeks there are to explore. Best to fly fish either side of low tide. You have more chance to spot fish, usually either cruising or backing in real skinny water. For me, a black clouser rules up there but other people will have other flies they will recommend. Olive/white clouser can work well too.

Good luck!

Andy