Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ICW@Palm Valley Bridge?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:05 am 

I know NOTHING about ICW at Palm Valley Bridge (210). Seeking information/advice:

1. ICW/Tolomato River naturally flows to the north or to the south?
2. Influence of tide? If so, what tide table location to use?
3. Launch west side of ICW (Nocatee Kayak Launch) or east side of ICW (public boat ramp)?
4. Depth of ICW at bridge? Depths around docks (for anchoring purposes)?
5. How far (miles) south of bridge to creek mouths and flats?
6. Cast-netting for mud minnows at/near launch: bad, good, other?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information/advice!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:56 pm 

Numerous views but no replies. To where did all the helpful jax kayak anglers go? seems like they're no longer here at jaxkayakfishing.com

What happened? Is there a better jax area inshore saltwater kayak fishing forum than this? if so please post thx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:25 pm 

SlamSeeker wrote:
I know NOTHING about ICW at Palm Valley Bridge (210). Seeking information/advice:

JYJ....BOTH!!! LOL.....depends on where you are fishing, and the Palm Valley Bridge/Rt. 210 is about 1/2 way between the Mayport Inlet and the St. Augustine/Matanzas Inlet. The "Red Sea Parting" does not happen, but it really does depend on lots of things.

JYJ....the Tide Tables in here have not worked in awhile. If you use the "Search" tool above, you will see LOTS of suggestions.

3. Launch west side of ICW (Nocatee Kayak Launch) or east side of ICW (public boat ramp)?
JYJ: West Side of the ICW at the new launch....the public ramp on the East side has always been a joke....about 1 1/2 lanes and a total Cluster to launch or remove a kayak, especially on weekends!!
However, the restaurant/bait and tackle store right by the public ramp has a nice launch area.

JYJ: It depends!!! You do NOT want to anchor anywhere in the main channel due to fishing boats and 60-70' cruisers running up and down "the ditch"...and the big ones REALLY throw out a wake getting back up on plane either side of the ICW bridge...found that one out the hard way, but did not turn turtle...just got soaked!!

JYJ: Not very far South....just fish the docks and ride the outgoing tide south and the first creeks are about a mile or maybe 2 on your left/East side of the "ditch".....they get VERY shallow at low tide!! Good fishing sports tho....

JYJ: I would paddle a ways from the launch area and throw your net...I think that finger mullet would be a good target also......JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:25 am 

SlamSeeker wrote:
Numerous views but no replies. To where did all the helpful jax kayak anglers go? seems like they're no longer here at jaxkayakfishing.com

What happened? Is there a better jax area inshore saltwater kayak fishing forum than this? if so please post thx

U waited less than a day to complain lol ok

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:55 pm 

Hey 3WT.....I noticed that same thing twice now....and I might have to answer immediately from now on...OR....Not at all!!! He/she is very impatient....chill out!!
JYJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:40 pm 

:shock: someone needs a chill pill . lol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:39 am 

I fished there yesterday. No fish at all, nope, no fish there

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:03 pm 

SlamSeeker wrote:

Like JYJ said, it does both and at the same time depending on the tides. It's pretty much a north or south of the bridge thing (the actual point is a little south of the bridge). On the incoming tide north of the bridge the flow is to the south, but south of the bridge on an incoming tide the flow is to the north. It does the opposite on an outgoing tide.

SlamSeeker wrote:

I use the Android app, Tides Near Me, and Palm Valley ICW is in there as a location.

SlamSeeker wrote:

That ramp is pretty busy with bigger boats, especially on the weekends. I use the Nocatee Kayak Launch. At dead low tide, the "improved ramp" is out of the water and it looks like there's the usual bottomless mud at the end of the ramp, but the mud isn't very deep...just a few inches. My biggest problem with the Nocatee Kayak Launch is the shore fishermen who always use it, usually when I'm trying to get back in. They'll park their vehicles right in front of the ramp in that little circle and pound rod holders into/across the ramp with lines going out into the ICW. I always stop and let them know I'm coming in there, and they usually move (but take their sweet time doing it), but I've been told several times, "You can't come in here -- I'm fishing here." And that's when I paddle right in there anyway. It's just a pain because no one likes to end their fishing trip with a confrontation with an a$$hole at the launch, right? :(

SlamSeeker wrote:

The only part of the ICW you should be worried about for anchoring is the shoreline -- no further out than the docks. The depth greatly depends on the tides. You can't anchor up in the middle of the ICW -- there's too much big boat traffic, and they're going to tolerate you anchoring there for all of about 3 seconds. I swear some of those boats are mini cruise ships.

SlamSeeker wrote:

There are a couple of smaller creeks on the west side about 1/2 mile from the bridge. The flats (on the east side) and bigger creeks (on both sides) are over a mile (closer to two miles). Unless you have a motor or pedals (and even then), you need to really keep an eye on traffic and conditions. When I poorly timed the tides and didn't consider the winds, I had a LOT of trouble getting back to the bridge, and I have 55# trolling motor.

SlamSeeker wrote:

There's a little creek immediately north of the Nocatee Kayak Launch (west side) that should provide you with some cast netting opportunities. There's also Palm Valley Outdoors baitshop on the east side under the bridge.

SlamSeeker wrote:

The site used to be a lot more active than it currently is. A lot of the younger folks have moved on to social media. Even us older folks don't check in here as often as we used to, but it's still a great resource (the search feature is your friend -- most past postings still apply today), and people eventually come along. You have to be more patient these days.

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm 

Nevermind my reply -- I now see there's no fish there anymore. Bummer. ;) :lol:

Perception Striker 11.5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:25 pm 

thx internetpilot for a helpful and informative reply!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:48 pm 

Trying to get some more info about Palm Valley I recently telephoned Palm Valley Outdoors. Talked to a friendly guy who advised that, with the high air and water temps at/near Palm Valley Bridge, I'd be better off to fish more outside waters, moving waters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:33 am 

Considering that's where PVO is located, I'm not sure why anyone who works there would tell people they're better off fishing elsewhere, but...what's that saying about opinions and everyone having one? Haha

Mornings and evenings are quite cool temperature wise, you just need to time the tides right for how you like to fish.

For what it's worth, there isn't any more closed, non-moving water in the area than Guana Lake, and I frequently catch the most fish between 1:00pm-3:00pm, which is typically the highest temps of the day. But I almost always fish Guana Lake when I go out, so it all boils down to what you know/figured out about an area. I wouldn't expect to catch trophy fish the first time I fished anywhere, and if by chance I did, I wouldn't expect to the next time.

There are fish to be caught at PV Bridge, but you're not going to catch any until you put your kayak in the water there and start working on figuring the place out. I know quite a few people who are very successful there and they have posted many fishing reports here (one or two even posted videos). Read through/search the fishing reports here. There's a ton of useful info. Some of the best fishermen on the site fish the area you're currently researching.

Perception Striker 11.5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:47 am 

There are a lot of small mangroves around the docks right now. So you have to get the bait passed them. Some of the docks north have very little water under them at low tide. Look for big outboards south as they wash out a deeper hole. The bite has been early for me lately then shuts down.

That said, I don't enjoy fishing docks and fish the creeks south. I fish high tide so I can ride the tide out. If you do this, watch the wind. I am late 50's and had a few times when I really struggled to back back to the launch. I am sure a teenage girl on a paddle board would have made it no problem :-(

I use the kayak launch as it is easier. I hope Palm Valley outdoors has a better kayak launch after all the remodeling is done. If you use the boat ramp, have your stuff organized and get in and get out. Too many spend wayyyyy to long blocking the ramp giving everyone a bad name.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:51 pm 

Do a search on here for palm valley and you will see a lot of detailed reports that i have posted. You see other good ones from other members as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:15 am 

Tmdfam wrote:
Do a search on here for palm valley and you will see a lot of detailed reports that i have posted. You see other good ones from other members as well.

...Or charter, bribe, or otherwise figure out a way to get out with Tim.

Probably one of the quickest ways to learn how to fish the area...