Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: St. Pete Beach Advice
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:57 pm 

I will be in St. Pete Beach in July, and may have an opportunity to wet a line a couple of mornings. During the summer here in Jax have had some success fishing around the pogie schools in the surf at first light from the beach. Does anyone know if similar opportunities are available in St. Pete Beach or the surrounding beaches areas? Are there any good shore fishing opportunities around Blind Pass? I am just planning on taking a small spinning reel and a small box of lures for just a quick one hour trip or two. Any advice on spots, lures or techniques is greatly appreciated!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:32 pm 

Hey John A.....Sorry but I have never kayak fished in the Gulf of Mexico in the St. Pete, Tampa, Clearwater area, but I wanted to pop this back to the top and see if people in here respond.
Also, dunno if you have tried the "Search" tool....look above here under the JKF logo and click on "Search" and then enter each of those three places in the "Keywords" blank area.....Good Luck and sorry I cannot be of help on this one!!
JYJ
PS: Just saw under your avatar that you live in Oak Harbor...we'll have to meet up there someday and check out some spots....O/H is my favorite place to fish and I have about 180 trips up your way!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:58 pm 

John,

if you have access to Facebook, look up Yak Tribe forum. It's run by my good friend Heath that started Yak Tribe. You will get tons of help if you post on that forum. Great group of folks. Heath is from the Sarasota/Tampa area as well.

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Ambassador
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:53 am 

Thanks for the advice JYJ and SRaces! I made a mistake on the month, and it was actually June that the wife and I went to St. Pete Beach (got back yesterday afternoon). I did not take the kayak or Solo Skiff, but did take my 1000 Stradic and a small box of lures. A guy from work, whom previously lived there, advised me to take lighter or more natural colored artificials, so my small tackle box had a couple of topwaters, soft jerkbaits, paddle tails, and some DOA shrimp with the goal of catching a snook (never caught one before). Fished a couple of spots early one day around seawalls and jetties on an inlet with no luck. Saw and spoke to some other fisherman whom were throwing small white jigs on a sort of dropper rig with the goal of catching pompano. I did not see anyone catch anything.
I went back to the inlet yesterday (Friday morning) for some early action before our drive back to Jax. I threw a soft jerkbait on a weighted hook, and then a paddletail with no bites despite the heavy presence of baitfish in the water. Switched to the DOA shrimp to try and tempt a couple of small sheepshead or mangrove snapper that I could see close to the jetties to get rid of that skunk smell before the ride home. Just before I was about to pack it up had an approximate 16 inch snook blast the shrimp. Landed him/her; mission accomplished. I noticed the tide had started to recede out of the inlet and could see some large boils around the bait schools moving out with the tide further inside the inlet. I walked closer inland and then saw the source of the boils which looked to be four large snook about 30-40 feet out from the breakwater/retaining wall. After several failed to attempts to land the DOA in their path I was able to fire a cast past them, quickly reel it into their path, and let it sink as the bait approached them. They all turned at it with one beating out the other three to it. The fight was on for about 10 minutes, and I was able to get the snook close to the rusted retaining wall that I then had to climb down over on to the only rock with enough room for me to put both feet on.
I really wanted to get a picture, but had the dilemma of trying to maintain control of a snook in the 25-28 inch range, shoot a picture with my phone, and release the snook unharmed off of my precarious perch on the tiny rock without ending up in the inlet with him. A passerby said they would shoot the pictures, which came out okay considering I could not turn around to display the fish properly. I did accomplish the goal of getting a snook (2), not falling in the inlet, and releasing them healthy back into the water. I will add the pics once I get them loaded off of my phone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 am 

Glad to hear you had some success from shore. Snook are fun to catch! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Ambassador
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya