Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:46 pm 

Hello all, new to the forum and I am looking for any advice on buying my first Kayak.

I am 6 ft 300 pounds and am looking for a Kayak to fish inshore salt water as well as fresh water creeks and rivers. I have recently lost 50 lbs and was hoping this would help me stay fit while still loosing more weight as well as help me fulfill my passion of fishing.

I want a sit on top model and would like a good stable boat. I have researched the Jackson "Big Rig" and really like it. I like the comfortable chair type seating that sits you up off the floor of the boat allowing you to keep your legs under you a bit instead of straight out.

All that being said, can y'all recommend any others for me to look at that are decently priced, stable boats?

Also, are their any places that will allow you to test ride their boats to make sure thay are a good fit before you buy?

Thanks in advance for any and all help. God bless.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:23 pm 

Go to Black Creek Outfitters. They carry several brands and also allow you to test them on the lake behind their store.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:25 pm 

If you're from Jacksonville area, you can visit Black Creek Outfitters located near the St. Johns Town Center. They actually have more kayaks than those listed on their website.

I would try to demo a Wilderness kayak in addition the Jacksons you were interested in. The Radar 135 or ATAK 140 are a few inches narrower, but they felt really stable to me, along with high performance and comfort.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:24 pm 

Check Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game.
Very stable, great weight capacity, drives fast, weighs only 70lb, comfortable chair, you can stand.
http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/angler_kayaks/prowler_big_game_II/

A BAD DAY FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:28 am 

Im selling my Old Town Predator MX for $700. Retails for $1200. You can borrow it for a day or test it near my house.

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/predator_family/

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:21 pm 

Hello Daniel D, and Welcome to JKF!!!

Thx to the guys above who mentioned Black Creek Outfitters, and I have been working there P/T for just over 5 years now, so if you are close to JAX please let me know and I can meet you there for some free demos on the 22 acre spring fed lake just 12 steps out the back door of the demo room!!

We carry many options for the "bigger guys" like you, and Congrats on that weight loss and your comment about losing more weight....it will melt away due to kayaking!!! I went from an all time high 215# down to 177# back when I was kayak fishing 2-3X per week....it will melt off I promise you!!

You mentioned creeks and rivers, so I am not certain you live down near here...???
That sounds like GA or TN or NC where I have fished quite a bit following my daughter and family around their moves, and I love Inshore Saltwater fishing, but that "moving water" sure is fun too!!
Please let me know what you think, either in here or by a PM....and thanks in advance!!
JohnYaksJax
PS: The Wilderness Systems Ride 115 and 135 are great for Big Guy Yaks, and the NuCanoe products are excellent too.....we carry all of those and you could easily demo 5-6 kayaks to see which fits YOU the best!!

Last edited by JohnYaksJax on Wed May 10, 2017 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:32 pm 

Thanks John, I love about 100 miles north of Panama City Beach, in Enterprise, Alabama. I go to the gulf every weekend to fish. I am familiar with the Jacksonville area. I used to live about 60 miles from there years ago. Next time I'm close I'll stop in. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:34 am 

Daniel....Sounds like you are truly fixated on saltwater fishing, which is great news!!
Just give me some lead time, and I should be able to meet you at Black Creek....
Also, any particular kayaks that you are interested in....wanna make certain that they are in stock when you come down here.
Looking forward to meeting you......Thanks.....John

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:40 am 

I sure will. I'm really liking the Jackson Big Rig or anything that compares to that one. I like the weight that it holds as well as the stability.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:20 am 

The Jackson Big Rig has been a good seller for us for a couple of years, and you are certainly correct...large weight capacity and still good handling and stability.
Give me a little lead time so that I can check to make certain that we have one in our Demo Room...we nearly always do!!
John

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:06 pm 

Daniel,

You might also try calling Sunjammers in Panama City, or Wilderness way South of Tallahassee. I believe both offer demos.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:38 pm 

You can demo this and save some cash. $700

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:09 pm 

Jwray wrote:
You can demo this and save some cash. $700

I sent you a PM with my phone number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:47 am 

ok. ill call this afternoon.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:59 pm 

You may want to check out the Vibe Sea Ghost 130 (https://vibekayaks.com/). It's a nicely equipped kayak and comes with some great features and a lot of accessories from the factory (including a rudder, nice seat/chair, gear tracks, scupper plugs, hatch bags, even a paddle, etc.). It has a 550lb capacity, stable enough for standing, weighs only 74lbs, and probably the best part is it's only $900 MSRP. You can also get the almost identically equipped shorter Sea Ghost 110 with a 425lb capacity, 62lbs, and $830 MSRP. There's a Vibe Dealer in Panama City (Florida Watersports) if you want to check them out. I don't know if they demo or not. I have several friends who bought Vibe kayaks and they really like them.

I don't know what kind of vehicle you have for hauling a kayak, but a >90lb kayak like the Big Rig is an absolute bear to lug around.

For what it's worth, I'm 6'3", 230lb (was 260 until recently) and I love my el cheapo Perception Striker 11.5. It's probably the cheapest "big guy" kayak going, and goes for $499 at Dick's Sporting Goods. It took a bit of rigging for me to get it how I like it, but only about $100 or so more. I love it for freshwater fishing up here in Virginia. I have a different (also cheapo) kayak (Perception Sport Destiny 12.0) and a canoe for fishing inshore down in Florida.

Good luck and watch out for the addiction! :D

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5