Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I really need a favor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:24 pm 

I joined this forum forever ago, but moved back to Atlanta in 2014. I came to St Augustine this weekend with my girlfriend, and she has never caught a fish before. She specifically asked if we could go fishing while we were here.

We don't have kayaks with us, but I brought some medium light poles and a net. I have some gulp shrimp and a bucket for live bait.

Can you guys tell me a place where anything is biting from shore right now? I'll be driving up through Jax on the way home, so I can go anywhere from St Augustine to Fernandina Beach.

I would really appreciate any guidance. I just want her to catch her first fish.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:30 pm 

FYI we will be going tomorrow morning-ish

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:35 pm 

Really big blue fish in st Aug and matanzas inlet. 15
Lbs big. Around bridges. Vilano is good now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:13 pm 

Hello Hexeir and nice to see you again in here!!
I would grab some dead shrimp (FRESH hopefully) someplace....maybe at the Vilano launch B&T (was "The Bait Shack" at 904-217-3486) and grab some fresh dead shrimp, and ask the lady there if you can fish right there..her name was Elaine on her Biz card).

Fish there is possible. or just head north on A1A and stop at Guana...think there is a $3-4 dollar CASH fee since there is no attendant. You can fish from the dam or on the other side of the parking lot South of the dam....would recommend a bobber/cork or some type.

If not working there for you, you can fish from 2 docks up near Mayport at Dutton Island Park....free and look above under the FISHING SPOTS link..on the right!!
Good Luck....nice to see you in here again....JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:22 pm 

If I could help you, I would. But anything I might recommend is to be ignored based on my recent results. Good luck to you.

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:28 pm 

Thanks guys!! I probably will try a few different spots. Guana was my first thought but I never used to have luck onshore. Do you know ow if you're allowed to fish from land around the Castillo de San Marcos??

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:53 pm 

Another decent place is under the SR 206 bridge. Bridge is good cover and fish are there sometimes. Soak fresh dead shrimp in Diet Pepsi!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:41 pm 

Hello Hexeir....just wondered if your tried to fish on your way thru JAX at the places along the beaches.....??

Pieces of dead shrimp on a float rig or light-weight jighead should always "score" for her...and for you also!!! :shock:

Not trying to be too rude, but there are 3-10 year olds that catch fish every weekend here at the Beaches in the areas that you outlined, so, how did you do???
JYJ