Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:12 am 

Hit the water yesterday around 730 drifting in with the tide. Was dragging a mud on a popping cork and throwing a gulp curly tail as I drifted in. Drift was fast! About 1.2k and up to 2 if Erected my Michelin mansail (stand up). Fished the bends and not even a bite until I was about 1/2 mike west of the railroad trestle. Got into a school of big blues. First one hit on the mud as I was drifting. 2000 Lews real with 10 pound braid. He took off against the current and tide and I just enjoyed the ride and tightening the drag. As he started to slow and was rolling near the surface, I felt like I was in a mini bay boat tarpon fishing. At the side I looked at him and my teeny little folding net I just downsized to and thought, oh heck no, nit breaking my net on a freakin blue fish. So just cut him off, carefully! My guess is 30-32 inches. I was thinking that I was glad he didn't hit on the 1000 shimano and gulp.

So I moved west a couple creek bends and started throwing the gulps again. Zzzzzing, another big blue, took much longer to get in with the 1000.. but quite entertaining. Sorry no pics as they were not coming inside the tuperware! About the same size as the first one. A few smaller blues then I moved eastward heading out. Not another bite. Out of the water at 1:15 to make a 3pm appointment. I was hoping to get some of the tide change, but it didn't happen with the westerly wind.

Next time, I think I will try east creek.

I was cussing the blues at first, but thank goodness or it would have been a strike out.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:28 pm 

Must have been fun on that 1000. Sounds like they are still around. Hopefully I can get out this week and try for some.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:39 pm 

I was doing a bunch of drag tightening, palming and being continually amazed at the strength of 10lb invisibraid. You never know what you are going to hook into, even way back in the creeks. And of course the smile of drag peeling off :cheers: