Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:04 pm 

On average, how many rod and reel outfits do you take for your typical day of fishing inshore? Do you prefer to keep things as simple as possible (minimalist) and just retie when you wish to change presentation, or do you take over 4+ setups? Or maybe you're somewhere in the middle? Just curious as to what is brought on board different people's kayaks to fish the Jax/St. Aug inshore water ways. I know a lot of these choices can be personal/reflection of the individual, but to me that makes the question all the more interesting.

So, how many rods do you take on yak for inshore (typically)? Feel free to give details! Also, have you ever decided that maybe you're carrying too much gear or too little gear and switched it up? What were some of those factors that made you shed or add more gear (rods/reels)?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:29 pm 

i bring 2 or 3 rods. any more than that and it is hard for me to keep everything apart and untangled. I like having options because they are different lengths. also never bad to have a back up rod in case one breaks or gets lost. I set each rod up with a different type of lure as well, makes for a few less knots to tie.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:38 pm 

When I head to the coast to chase redfish, I usually take 4 rods. I start with a 6 1/2 ft medium baitcaster with 14 lb mono and a super spook jr. 2nd rod would be a 7ft medium spinner with 10 lb power pro/20 lb fluorocarbon shock leader and a suspending MirrOlure. 3rd rod would be a 7 ft medium heavy spinner with 10 lb power pro/ 20 lb fluorocarbon shock leader and shrimp colored Skimmer Jig. And last would be a 7ft medium heavy bait caster with 20 lb power pro/20 lb fluorocarbon shock leader and 1/8 oz jig head with a paddle tail. I have cut down big time on the amount of gear I take compared to when I first started out. It just seemed that I would use certain baits that worked over and over so no need to carry the rest of it. I usually bring something new to try on each trip. I feel it's a lot easier to bring 4 different pre-rigged setups over tying 4 new setups on the same pole to try something new. Must be my bass fishing roots. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, John

Attachments:
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG [ 111.86 KiB | Viewed 466 times ]

Hobie Pro Angler 12
Gheenoe Highsider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:31 pm 

I have taken out 3 rods/reels for many years now.
One for topwater lures like shallow sub-surface lure like the MirroDine 17 or 27.
One for a float rig.....with a 1/8 or 1/16 jighead to keep the live/dead bait or lure about 2' under the surface.
One for bottom fishing...with the same size jighead for the same baits/lures above, but on the bottom....

All medium sized Shimano's and one Penn Prion that I just cannot part with.
All with braid of some type....8# to 14#.
All with Flouro leader...normally 15-20#.

I try to cover the Topwater, the Mid-column water, and of course the Bottom fishing.
Once I find where they are, I normally switch the topwater to the level that is catching fish....JYJ

Last edited by JohnYaksJax on Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:16 pm 

I bring three of four with one of those being rather hefty for soaking usually cut bait while I'm actually fishing one of the other three. I know most don't do this, but I use clips. When I started fishing again it was with my two (then small) boys, and I wasn't going to spend all my time re-tying every lost hook, float, lure, etc. After the boys lost interest and I moved on to a kayak, I just kept using the clips. You can't use them with some lures, but they work with everything I typically use, and it beats re-tying while figuring out what the fish want that day.

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:20 pm 

See JYJ and IP answers ..... mostly bring 4, mostly Shimano, also have 1 or 2 Penn, and 1 Daiwa that I won at the tournament raffle a couple of years ago. All spooled with braid and fluorocarbon leaders, like JYJ, one has float rig, one a jighead for bait on the bottom, or a plastic tail. A third has a little tiny clip like IP does for quick change between topwater, hardbait, redfish magic, or no-brainer, . Actually, more than one typically has a clip on it. The fourth is basically a backup in case of equipment failure, though that is getting less common. I tend to keep a topwater tied on that one, and if I need it for something else I'll change it.

I could do with three, and have gone with two.

I am trending towards 7 foot rods and have one 7.5 footer.

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --