Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:10 am 

What reel(s) do you recommend? Size? Line?

What rod(s) do you recommend? Length?

Intracoastal kayak fishing for reds, trout, flounder, etc.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:18 am 

Fish_On85 wrote:
What reel(s) do you recommend? Size? Line?

What rod(s) do you recommend? Length?

Intracoastal kayak fishing for reds, trout, flounder, etc.

How much you want to spend for the rod and reel? That will help folks give you some suggestions as the cost can be a wide range depending on who responds. The key is to get a good saltwater setup that will last and be worth the investment. Are you looking at a spinning or bait caster setup?

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Ambassador
Ziptailz Ambassador
2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Dune
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:53 am 

I'm looking for a spinning reel.

As far as cost I would say most economical but, if I had to out a dollar amount my max is $150.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:03 am 

Fish_On85 wrote:
I'm looking for a spinning reel.

As far as cost I would say most economical but, if I had to out a dollar amount my max is $150.

I fish with Penn and Shimano reels. The Penn reels are for heavier applications. My every weekend reels are the Shimano Sedona 3000FE. It retails for $69.95 and you should be able to find them locally. Academy carries them as well. 18.5 pounds of drag and weighs under 9 ounces. Shimano just upgraded their Sahara to the F1 model this year. Might have to get one of those. 8.8 ounces and 20 pounds of drag in the 3000 model.

If you really want a dependable saltwater reel that is inexpensive, just pick up the Shimano Sienna. But keep in mind it will weigh more and have less drag. Retail $30.

As far as the rod, that really depends on the action you want with the rod tip. Most of my rods are Abu Garcia, but I married my Sedona reels up to the Gander Mountain Vortex spinning rods. They only come in 6.5 feet. Wish they were 7 feet. I thought I saw them on sale for $20 the past few days. They are normally $60. At Christmas time, they put them on sale for $13. They work great for me...even landing a mid 20s red or trout. If you break one, you're not out of a lot of money. Again, rods are really a personal preference based on feel. Tons to choose from. You should be able to make a very nice combo for under $150 that will last a long time. Good luck and let us know what you ended up with.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Ambassador
Ziptailz Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:05 pm 

Thank you SRAces!

Those vortex are on sale.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:45 pm 

Just realized I didn't help with all your questions. I would recommend 20 pound braided line. Use a 15-20 pound leader that is at least a couple of feet long. An ideal rod length is a 7 footer as it helps to cast a little further than a 6.5 foot one. But if you get those Vortex rods, they will be 6.5 feet.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Ambassador
Ziptailz Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:30 pm 

For that style of fishing, I'd go with a 2500 Shimano Sienna paired with a 7'6 medium or medium heavy rod. Hurricane Red Bone or St. Croix Triumph are what I use. That combo will get you right around $130. If you decide to upgrade the reel, both of the rods will go fine with a nicer reel.

I fish with a number of different reels, but my Sienna is one of my favorites. It's the decorated veteran of my quiver: I've had it for four years and it's still smooth. It's been dunked, used and abused. It's great for tossing jigs and lures for reds and the usual suspects in the creeks. I've also landed some big bull reds from the jetties and big bonnet heads and smaller black tips from the surf.

Spool it with braid between 10 to 15 (go light if you want more casting distance or heavier if you're fishing near structure) and go rip some lips.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:12 pm 

I just picked up a Lew's SSG300 series reel. Weighs 9.1 ounces (specs), not sure what the drag # is. It has 10 bearings, so it's nice and smooth for an "economy" reel at $49.00. I put #20 braid on it and I'll see how it does this weekend down by the 206. It'll be paired with a Berkley Lightning Rod Shock 7'0" Medium action, which is another less expensive alternative. Almost all of my rods are Lightning Rods and they're pretty hard to beat for the money. The Shock variant I like more than the standard Lightning Rod as the tip is a little be more "springy" which helps if you use braided line.

Here's the reel; http://www.lews.com/spinning-ssg.php
I will be upgrading my rods and reels eventually, but right now I'm kinda liking the whole ballin' on a budget thing. :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:36 am 

The_Floater wrote:
I just picked up a Lew's SSG300 series reel. Weighs 9.1 ounces (specs), not sure what the drag # is. It has 10 bearings, so it's nice and smooth for an "economy" reel at $49.00. I put #20 braid on it and I'll see how it does this weekend down by the 206. It'll be paired with a Berkley Lightning Rod Shock 7'0" Medium action, which is another less expensive alternative. Almost all of my rods are Lightning Rods and they're pretty hard to beat for the money. The Shock variant I like more than the standard Lightning Rod as the tip is a little be more "springy" which helps if you use braided line.

Here's the reel; http://www.lews.com/spinning-ssg.php
I will be upgrading my rods and reels eventually, but right now I'm kinda liking the whole ballin' on a budget thing. :smoke:

I have a couple of the Berkley Lightning Rod Shock rods I use for freshwater. They are great rods and will not break the bank! :thumbleft:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Ambassador
Ziptailz Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:09 am 

I agree with several of the rod selections mentioned above. Both the Berkley Lightning Shocks and the Gander Vortex rods are solid rods that have performed very well for me.

On the reel side, I really like the Penn Battle 2 reels. I normally buy the 2000 series, which weighs 9.8 oz. That is a little heavier than some of the other reels out there. But, the Battles are designed for saltwater with sealed bearings, plenty of drag and all metal body. So a dunked reel is less likely to need a major overhaul. You can find them on Amazon for less than $75. I normally use 10-15 lb braid with 20 lb flouro leader.

Just my 2 cents, there a lot of good reels out there in your price range. I have a couple Sedonas and they are smooth and have served me well.

Good luck.

and to walk humbly with your God?

Micah 6:8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:01 pm 

Chris wrote:
For that style of fishing, I'd go with a 2500 Shimano Sienna paired with a 7'6 medium or medium heavy rod. Hurricane Red Bone or St. Croix Triumph are what I use. That combo will get you right around $130. If you decide to upgrade the reel, both of the rods will go fine with a nicer reel.

I fish with a number of different reels, but my Sienna is one of my favorites. It's the decorated veteran of my quiver: I've had it for four years and it's still smooth. It's been dunked, used and abused. It's great for tossing jigs and lures for reds and the usual suspects in the creeks. I've also landed some big bull reds from the jetties and big bonnet heads and smaller black tips from the surf.

Spool it with braid between 10 to 15 (go light if you want more casting distance or heavier if you're fishing near structure) and go rip some lips.

I had a sienna 4000 that i love. I bought and sienna 2500 and the gears got locked up in 3 months and that is with me washing it after almost every use.

If i was to recommend a combo, I would go with a Penn Battle 2 ($80 on amazon) and an ugly stik inshore select issp 7' rod $50 at Walmart. (btw academy will price match amazon for the Penn Battle 2)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:06 pm 

Ohh and I also bought the Shimano Nexave on Black Friday at Academy. Seems to be some sort of European model for Shimano. Works good & smooth, salt has so far been a non issue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:45 am 

I'd use this setup:

Reel: Shimano Sedona SEC3000FE
Line: PowerPro 15 lb (300 yds for two reels)
Leader: Seaguar Blue Label 25 lb 100 yds
Rod: St Croix Triumph or Hurricane Redbone

Or you take a Penn Battlle II 2500 combo on Amazon for $115.

A BAD DAY FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:50 pm 

Sorry but I wouldn't touch Shimano products. Bought a bunch of baitrunners a few years back and they all lasted one season before the gears locked up, parts fell off, rust, omg. Shimano has really gone downhill in quality. Penn all the way. But I find myself going lighter and lighter in tackle. Down to 12 pound mono. And I hate braided line. No 'feel' to it.