Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My First Kayak
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:52 pm 

Well.I just went and pulled the plug and paid for my first kayak. I ordered a Native Ultimate 12. I hope that it is everything that I think it will let me do. I am disabled and have two below the knee prosthetic legs. I get around well just could not do the hooking the boat up to a truck then getting it back on the trailer after a day of fishing. I sold the lawn ornament and decided on getting a kayak and setting it up for fishing. The Ultimate 12 looked like the best bet. I have been on your site for the last few months when the kayak bug bit me. I like this site even though I am up here in the cold country. The kayak should be here in another week or so. I had to drive 37 miles to see one and I loved what I saw. So I will be around looking for ways to get my boat set up. I have a nice sized creek going through my back yard 20 feet away. It is full of trout. So it will be a good practice spot. I have a nice river at the end of this creek. The Juniata full of smallmouth and muskys. I can't wait to get there. I will share what I end up doing to it. I have not been this excited for a long time.

Native Ultimate 12

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: My First Kayak
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:07 pm 

:thumbup: I am still researching kayaks..... and it looks like you picked a good 1......
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:28 pm 

QWell the kayak already has anchor trollies on both sides. Which I thought was really cool. I thought that I would be screwing a bunch of things onto the kayak. But it has a track system which was also a good selling and buying point. Looks like a milk crate for the back is what I will be building. I have watched a bunch of videos on that. Maybe my fishfinder will be my next thing that I need to watch for. Any ideas on that?

Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:25 pm 

Well 2 more days until the Ultimate 12 gets here. I hope. The dealers here in Pa. are few and far between. I sure do have a lot of stuff sitting here waiting to go on it. I can not wait.

Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:18 am 

Hello there Papanfisher, and Welcome to JKF and this GREAT sport of kayak fishing!!
Before I forget, here is the link to the "Ultimate Forum" on the Native Owner's Group website: http://nativeownersgroup.com/forum/5-na ... t-ultimate™/

Hope that works for you and it should contain MANY posts from Ultimate owners and LOTS of info on rigging them and other topics.....Have fun reading!!

Where in PA are you located...generally...an I grew up in Northern WV and went to WVU and spend LOTS of time up in the SW corner of PA....and your comment about Smallmouths and Muskies perked up my ears!!!
Headed up to NC fairly soon to camp and float the New River just south of the VA border...and those two species have been my target up there!!

It you have any questions about fishing from the new Ultimate 12, please post something and I think/hope that my buddy Mudfish, who is also in that NGO forum can answer them for you...pretty sure he still has an Ultimate and a couple of other Native products!!
Good luck with you new Ultimate and please keep us posted on your fishing trips!!
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:09 pm 

JohnYaksJax wrote:
It you have any questions about fishing from the new Ultimate 12, please post something and I think/hope that my buddy Mudfish, who is also in that NGO forum can answer them for you...pretty sure he still has an Ultimate and a couple of other Native products!!
Good luck with you new Ultimate and please keep us posted on your fishing trips!!
JohnYaksJax

Glad to assist! PM me on JKF anytime.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:16 pm 

I am still waiting on the thing. The guy told me this week for sure. I am right in the middle of the state. I have the Juniata and Susquehanna rivers about 5 miles away. Flatheads and small mouth and muskys are my target fish. Along with my favorites crappies. We have a lake called Howard where I can catch 200 crappies a day out of a boat just as long as you have some of my hand tied jigs with you. Make sure that they have a little orange in them. Yes I have been a little down since I sold my boat. Don't know why it was just sitting in the yard for the last 2 years anyways. Then whole kayak thing perked me right up. I will be hunting ducks out of it too.

Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:42 pm 

That is a stable setup good buy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:23 pm 

It will be ready for pick up tomorrow. Finally. And of course I will not be able to pick it up until Friday. At least I know that it is in this state lol. Pics to come on Friday. Hopefully I have not forgotten how to post pictures to a forum. It has been awhile since my jig posting days.

Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:37 pm 

I went and picked up the kayak today. Very nice. I love this thing. It came with anchor trollies on both sides and a track on the forward half that the Scotty Gearhead Track mounts fit into securely. The seat is very comfortable. Looks like the only holes that I will have to drill into the boat is for the Scotty Flush Mount bases that I will put on the rear thwart?? The word does not look right to me. And some ZigZag cleats for the anchor line when I put it through the ring on the anchor trollies. I will get some pictures of it and post them.

Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:46 pm 

I can't wait to hear how the Ultimate 12 works out for you.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:43 pm 

I only got to take it out a couple times behind the house. It is a creek full of trout. Very cold water. I thought that I was ready to go last week when it was 70 degrees. But then we got 13 inches of snow lol. I guess that I will have to wait a little while. I had some kind of flu for three months over the winter. That is all over with now. I got my crate done and have everything ready to put on the kayak. I believe that you will all be amazed at what a wad of cash will buy. Pictures will finally go on as soon as the snow and cold weather are gone.

Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:08 pm 

Hello again and nice to hear you got your Ultimate kayak and got it partially rigged!!!
You said above that you had it out a few times...did you get some "fish slime" on her??
Please keep us posted on your catches....smallies and muskies are both great fish to target!!
JohnYaksJax
PS: My niece might be moving back to the WV or PA area and has put an offer down on a country home on 16 acres ...it is east of Somerset, PA and right off the PA Turnpike and she said: "I would think we would be able to kayak to the Juniata river from this body of water as since the creek is fed by the Juniata"
Is that anywhere close to you?? :scratch:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:11 pm 

[quote="JohnYaksJax"]Hello again and nice to hear you got your Ultimate kayak and got it partially rigged!!!
You said above that you had it out a few times...did you get some "fish slime" on her??
Please keep us posted on your catches....smallies and muskies are both great fish to target!!
JohnYaksJax
PS: My niece might be moving back to the WV or PA area and has put an offer down on a country home on 16 acres ...it is east of Somerset, PA and right off the PA Turnpike and she said: "I would think we would be able to kayak to the Juniata river from this body of water as since the creek is fed by the Juniata"
Is that anywhere near you?
It is maybe an hour away. UPSTREAM I may add lol. Not too much fishing done in it yet. The creek right behind the house is like a foot deep. And me with my two prosthetic legs did not want to get stuck out there and have to have a helicopter have to come and find me. That would stir it up a little around here. Once I hit the river will be another story. The pictures will tell the truth lol

Native Ultimate 12