Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: reel/rod?
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:37 am 

Can you guys recommend a good affordable reel and rod setup for small inshore reds and trout? Im tryin to get into fly fishing but im kinda uneducated about brands/sizes/prices and would like to learn more.ive been seein alot of fish in the grass and cruisin the banks during lowtide and it seems like i spook them with every cast. i feel as if fly fishing would be more productive forsure.any info is very appreciated, thanks!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: reel/rod?
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:53 am 

Head over to Black Fly Outfitters, the owner there can tell you everything you could ever want to know about Fly fishing. Im sure they can fit you into something affordable.

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Polar Bear Coolers | Cajun Custom Rods | 904-256-4985 | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:21 am 

x2 to Shawn's recommendations. Black Fly will set you up for success, even free fly casting lessons (which I should make use of more often). If you wanna catch those fish in the meantime on spinning gear try weightless plastics and get the bait sitting in front of where the fish is heading, casting at them will spook them most of the time, have your bait in their path and then start working it once they get close.

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:25 am 

Good call, appreciate the information!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:40 pm 

Good info from Sua, and BFO has various price ranges and plenty of options for beginners and old pros both. I believe that their "free lessons" are a "Lifetime Offer" but please do not hold me to it!! Nice to go back occasionally and let them correct any bad habits that you may have formed.
Good luck and let us know how you do with the Longrod!!
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:48 am 

JohnYaksJax wrote:
Good info from Sua, and BFO has various price ranges and plenty of options for beginners and old pros both. I believe that their "free lessons" are a "Lifetime Offer" but please do not hold me to it!! Nice to go back occasionally and let them correct any bad habits that you may have formed.
Good luck and let us know how you do with the Longrod!!
JohnYaksJax

Yep, really nice people, very helpful, and great selection of gear-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:54 pm 

Fly fishing will likely not up you chances of catching those fish you seem to be scaring, if anything it will be harder than the conventional gear you are using. I will however guarantee you that it will be a lot of fun when you learn the ropes to catch them on a fly. But, I'd first work on presentation to those fish that you are scaring. Getting the lure well in front of the fish and moving it at the right moment as they pass, and moving it subtly enough to provoke a strike and not scare them. Fly fishing will often magnify your mistakes, presentation is critical and the action is often closer than with conventional gear. If you get set up, a lesson with Rich Santos on this site would be well worth your while, shorten your learning cureve and cut out some of the mistakes we make when starting out. Good luck