Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kayak footwear
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:53 am 

Hello all... Looking for comfortable water shoes for yakking. Any suggestions? I prefer one with a pretty decent sole. I bought a cheap pair of water shoes at Academy and they are terrible, thin sole, no grip and reek when dried out. I'm willing to spend some decent cash since they won't be used as much as regular shoes so they should last a while. As always thanks in advance to the guys/gals that chip in with info.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Kayak footwear
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:59 am 

Everyone's got their opinions on this, but I'm a big believer in Crocs. Some of the other water shoes will start to smell after awhile. Crocs are rubber. You spray them down with the hose after you use them and they'll last years. I know that some people say you'll get them swallowed up in the deep mud (I agree), so I tend to not walk in the deep mud. :D

I typically kick my shoes off as soon as I'm floating anyway, so I just use them to launch/recover in the summer.

"I believe hard work really makes the man...
....But everyone should WET A LINE, every now an' then!" ~Eric Church

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:04 am 

I wear the Five Fingers shoes, great in the water and on oyster beds.

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Polar Bear Coolers | Cajun Custom Rods | 904-256-4985 | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:08 am 

1. Evair Marine/Fishing Shoes (Shimano): "sandal-like" footwear good thicker sole. But can get small rocks, debris, etc. into open, slotted upper design. Also - difficult (if not impossible) to secure tightly enough to the foot to avoid shoe coming off if needing to step into deep soft mucky muddy bottom.

2. DrainMakers (Columbia): "sneaker-like" (laced) footwear good thicker sole. Comfortable. No complaints.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:17 am 

I wear Columbia Drainmaker II shoes. I love them but have heard that others have the problem with them smelling. I rarely if ever get my feet wet in them other than some rain on occasion. I did hear that if you do have an issue with the odor then leaving them out in the sunshine will take care of it by killing off the bacteria that cause the odor.

2017 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:30 am 

Ring King wrote:
I wear Columbia Drainmaker II shoes. I love them but have heard that others have the problem with them smelling. I rarely if ever get my feet wet in them other than some rain on occasion. I did hear that if you do have an issue with the odor then leaving them out in the sunshine will take care of it by killing off the bacteria that cause the odor.

Ya any of the no socks footwear can stink something awful. When I was in Hong Kong I went in for a massage and she went to do my feet and had to wear a face mask. I was actually really embarrassed but when I smelled my shoes it was terrible. She took care of me and I gave the girl a generous tip for putting up with my feet.

To kill the odor I always leave them out front of my house in the sun. Drys them out and kills the bacteria.

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Polar Bear Coolers | Cajun Custom Rods | 904-256-4985 | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:52 am 

I wear an old pair of running shoes...They won't slip off your feet in the mud, and I don't really care what happens to them. The best part - if you have a pair - is you won't need to buy anything new and can spend the money on other (fishing) stuff... Been using them since last October...so far, so good. No smells, no problems.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:02 pm 

For me, I'm usually barefoot or wearing sandals at Guana, because I'm NOT getting in the water there. I bought some waterproof Tevas for cheap off Woot I wear sometimes or just old tennis shoes. A buddy swears by freezing shoes for 24hrs to kill the bacteria and the smells. His wife puts their sons cleats in a bag and sticks them in the freezer after games.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:29 pm 

That may be the other reason I haven't had to deal with the smell SuaSponte! I never wear mine without socks. I always wear a fast moisture wicking sock with my Drainmaker IIs. It keep the sun from burning my ankles

2017 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:00 pm 

I wear the Fila FInger shoes; they are comfy and have a hard sole for Oysters and shells. They also do not have a bad smell to them like boat shoes do. I like Crocs on dry land but when wet they get very slippery.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:29 pm 

I've got a pair of Academy brand water shoes. I think they are pretty similar to the drain makers. I saw a pair on clearance for like nine bucks and picked them up. Only complaint is that the treads are very slick on wet surfaces like boat launches. I did use to wear a pair of crocks, but lost one to the mud when I renewed my membership to the upside down club a few months ago. My other go to are a pair of old leather Sketchers that have regular rubber soles. They weigh a ton when wet, but if I'm scouting new areas I'll wear them so that if I happen upon an oyster bed, I am more confident that they will hold up.
DMC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:10 pm 

Ring King wrote:
That may be the other reason I haven't had to deal with the smell SuaSponte! I never wear mine without socks. I always wear a fast moisture wicking sock with my Drainmaker IIs. It keep the sun from burning my ankles

I typically do and was when I was in Hong Kong, socks or no socks, feet are going to stick with these types of shoes. Especially since I was walking no less than 10 miles a day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:14 pm 

Shimano Evair; they are totally the bomb! I have just purchased my 3rd pair, wore out my very first pair, they lasted over 5 years, and still use them too do my lawn work. Purchased a new camo pair for everyday after work casual, and now ordered my 3rd pair in the sand color for kayak fishing and going to the beach, etc. if you shop it on ebay and amazon, you can save some serious dollars. I got my second pair from a guy that also purchased the size 12 in dark camo, the guy lived in Florida and they were too big for him, and I paid $29.99 and a free s/h instead of the normal $49.99 retail price. IMOI'; the Shimano Evair fishing shoe is a huge upgrade over the standard Croc's just my ten cents worth and opinion. Super comfortable, I take the liners out when in the kayak and fishing, wash off in the bath tub, insert liners for everyday use. I wear a size 11, and purchase 12's, so they are easy to take on and off, yet have adjustment Velcro straps on the side of the shoe to snug up and not loose them when you step out into the thick mucky creek muck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:44 am 

Chris wrote:
I wear an old pair of running shoes...They won't slip off your feet in the mud, and I don't really care what happens to them. The best part - if you have a pair - is you won't need to buy anything new and can spend the money on other (fishing) stuff... Been using them since last October...so far, so good. No smells, no problems.

Yep, I use an old pair of mesh New Balance shoes. I usually launch and fish by lots of nasty rocks & oysters so shoes are a must...... I just let em dry out in the sun after.

Those Columbia Drainmakers look nice, but in my head I cant justify spending that scratch on shoes that will most likely get covered in marsh mud.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:39 am 

I got 2 pair of drainmakers and love them on the yak to dry and then they get covered in the yak as well and haven't had a problem with smell. They have faded badly but thats it.